can my new laptop run the sims 3?

irokou

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
I have a dell with an i3 4005U 1.70 GHz, 4G ram, Intel HD graphics 4400. Will i be able to play the sims 3? And with most of the expansión packs? Can it cause damage to my hardware?

Solution
It is possible to play games using integrated graphics as long as the games are not graphically intensive. I set up Skyrim Legendary Edition to run on a friend's laptop which has a Core i5-4210u and the Intel HD 4400. He was happy enough with the 30 FPS he was getting at 1600x900 resolution with medium graphic settings, but no shadows and no anti-aliasing. He could get 40+ FPS at 1366x768 resolution, but he preferred playing at the higher resolution.

As for Sims 3, I have personally seen it played on an older laptop at 1366x768 resolution with a core i3 / i5 and the Intel HD 3000 which is less powerful than the new Intel HD 4400 that is in Intel's 4th generation CPUs. Below is a link to the Sims 3 being played on a laptop with the 3rd...
It should be possible to play the Sims 3 on your laptop since I have seen someone play it on an older laptop. Can't remember if it had a core i3 or i5, but it was using the Intel HD 3000 graphics core which is 2 generations older than the Intel HD 4400. I recall seeing the Generations load screen, but I do not know what other expansions were installed.

Performance on the Intel HD 3000 was okay at 1366x768 with low settings, but since the Intel HD 4400 is more powerful you should not have problems at that resolution.

It is possible to play games using integrated graphics as long as the games are not graphically intensive. I set up Skyrim Legendary Edition to run on a friend's laptop which has a Core i5-4210u and the Intel HD 4400. He was happy enough with the 30 FPS he was getting at 1600x900 resolution with medium graphic settings, but no shadows and no anti-aliasing. He could get 40+ FPS at 1366x768 resolution, but he preferred playing at the higher resolution.

As for Sims 3, I have personally seen it played on an older laptop at 1366x768 resolution with a core i3 / i5 and the Intel HD 3000 which is less powerful than the new Intel HD 4400 that is in Intel's 4th generation CPUs. Below is a link to the Sims 3 being played on a laptop with the 3rd generation Intel HD 4000 graphics core. Actual performance will be higher than what is displayed in the video because software is being used to record gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6RiraG_168

I do recommend that another stick of 4GB RAM (a total of 8GB) should be installed since only having 4GB of RAM for Windows, Sims 3 (especially with expansions) and the graphics will likely cause low memory errors sooner or later which could cause the game to crash or the laptop to freeze up.

Solution

Phoebebebe13

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015

Sorry but I help in the sims tech thread and would not advise integrated graphics at all. The sims 3 and all eps is a powerful game that needs a mid range gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop. It does require a mid level or higher dedicated gpu