Can My PC Run HTC VIVE? Will It Work Okay Or At All Either Way?

Allies2001

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Hi, I am currently looking into buying a HTC Vive
I have:
GPU: NVDIA Geforce GTX 660
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
RAM: 8.0 GB
Video output: I'm not sure I have a Dual VGA output: HDMI/DVI & D-sub
USB:10 USB2.0/1.1 ports
2x USB 3.0 ports
Motherboard: M5A78L-M/USB3
I also have a TR2 500W

I've run the SteamVR Peformance Test
My results are that my system isn't capable of rendering low quality VR and it appears to be mostly bound my GPU. They recommended upgrading my graphics card.

I've looked upgrading to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Founder's Edition and buying it on amazon (Since I had a hard time finding anything I believe compatible).

Would it work?
Can I use the HTC Vive with this setup? If not would I need to get a new GPU and CPU? Does it matter specifically? If so any suggestions?
Thanks!

Solution
Yep, that's the one.

It is a little louder than most other 1060s because of the small cooler, but it shouldn't be too bad. And it's cheap and will fit in your case with ease, so that's nice.

It will go into the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. You may notice the card itself is actually PCIe 3.0 x16, but the newer PCIe version is fully backwards compatible and there's no performance loss.

mbilal2

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 is the minimum requirement. Hence it is not recommended to run VR on your card. It will run great with a GTX 1060. It is VR ready.

For the CPU, the minimum requirement is AMD FX™ 8350. Your CPU will not be able to run VR. You will have to upgrade that as well. You are looking at ~400$ without graphics card. ~300$ if your current RAM is DDR 4.

I recommend you invest in a better PC before buying VR sets.

Sakkura

Distinguished
If you get an Oculus Rift instead, you can save a lot of money and use that to upgrade the CPU/motherboard/RAM. Or you could, for the time being, run it on your current CPU as it's just about good enough for the Rift (it has more advanced software that allows it to run on weaker PC hardware). You'd still need the GPU upgrade.

Allies2001

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Thank you so much Sakkura for your helpful response and advice :)
(I also wanted to apologize to you I accidentally voted down your answer, I'm really new to this site).
I really have my heart set on a HTC Vive, I plan on upgrading to a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 and now AMD FX™ 8350.

Is there anything I should be wary of?
Is my case big enough? (My case is an Xion Performance mATX USB 3.0 Tower Case Black/Blue XON-310)
Will it fit onto my motherboard when I want to install them? (Motherboard: M5A78L-M/USB3)
Do you know any stores or trust-able websites that offer good prices?
Sorry for asking again
Thank you so much!!!!!

Sakkura

Distinguished
The case has room for graphics cards up to 13 inches (330mm) long according to the Newegg product page, so just make sure the card you get isn't longer than that. Most 1060s should be easily under that limit. Fitting into the motherboard is not an issue, the PCIe x16 slot is standardized.

Allies2001

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Sorry for asking you something again, I'm about to buy the HTC Vive and the
AMD FX™ 8350, I'm not so sure about the graphics card anymore, I'm totally lost and confused.... I do want a graphics card that's Vr ready. Do you have any exact suggestions with a link by any chance (I'm really sorry) I just want to be absolutely sure before I buy it.
Also will my motherboard (M5A78L-M/USB3) bottleneck it?

Thank you so much, I'm really sorry for bothering you again.

Sakkura

Distinguished
This is the cheapest GTX 1060 6GB version in stock in the US, and it happens to be an extra-small "mini" version:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500402&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Your motherboard won't bottleneck it.

Allies2001

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
This is the last questions I promise, I'm about to buy the graphic card you suggested (ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini, ZT-P10600A-10L, 6GB GDDR5 Super Compact)
Just to be sure do you specifically mean the option with the 6GB memory with the Option: ZT-P10600A-10L (Single Fan)? If not which one do you recommend? Or does it really matter?

I have these expansions slots:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x 16 slot
1 x PCIe 2.0 x 1 slot
2 x PCI slots
Will it fit? If so which one?
Thank you very much (I am sorry for asking so many questions and bothering you again)

Sakkura

Distinguished
Yep, that's the one.

It is a little louder than most other 1060s because of the small cooler, but it shouldn't be too bad. And it's cheap and will fit in your case with ease, so that's nice.

It will go into the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. You may notice the card itself is actually PCIe 3.0 x16, but the newer PCIe version is fully backwards compatible and there's no performance loss.

Solution

harrystam

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015
I saw comments regarding your CPU: saying it's below par. I can tell you for a fact the FX 6300 is perfectly capable of running VR. I know this for a fact because I use to run a 6300 with my VIVE.

Allies2001

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
I just got my HTC Vive today thank you so much for Sakkura for your help, I couldn't have figure it out/got it without you.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING

(PS Sorry for only replying to your reply now I just got the parts and HTC Vive and just now put it together).
:)