Can not get my wifi to work at all

ajstone30

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
my lap top's wifi is broken or something i believe. I plug in my ethernet cable and it wont work. The wifi also wont work. It says that there are no networks available but im sitting here on my old lap top and its working with the wifi pefectly fine

Im also at school so im not able to reset any routers to see if it will help. I type in the cmd thing and it says media disconnect for both my wifi and the ethernet connection.

At this point i have absolutely no clue what to do and i cant afford to send this lap top back so i really need a fix for this.

ajstone30

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
Wow if it has a virus than im not sure what to think. I just got my lap top literally last week so im pretty upset that this has happened but thanks for the anwser. Will definitely try th

You're welcome. :) When you said you can't access the internet via Ethernet either, that was a bit of a red flag. Do feel free to reinstall the driver for your LAN, as well as for your WLAN.

Hopefully it's not a virus! If you can get internet access by using 'Safe Mode with Networking,' there's a possibility of it, though.

Don't rule out your modem/router, either. If you can't connect at home, try connecting to another access point (a friend's, relative's, or a public place, such as a library or any coffee house or diner that offers free WiFi).

ajstone30

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015

Wow it turns out i turned everything that was working off lol. Thanks for advising me to go to safe mode because i would have never thought i turned everything off and didnt even realize it.

Thank you so much

Great, I'm glad it's working now, and you're welcome. :)