Can replacing an interior hard drive get rid of a virus?

Jun 21, 2017
I have contracted a virus recently on my dell desktop and now it won't turn on. When I plug everything in, there is a green light on the back indicating that there is power. When I try to click the power button, nothing at all. There are no fans running inside. If i replace the interior hard drive would that make it turn on or could the virus have spread to other parts of the desktop. here is a link with pictures of my computer. it doesn't have a l and o button. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GfdMM108qCQFxfoRi6pfqSaHSKlagPPfDiP_dggbajw/edit?usp=drivesdk

Solution
It could be something as simple as the front panel switch going bad, or one of the wires from the switch coming loose from the front panel header on the motherboard. If you can identify which pins on the motherboard's front panel header are for the power switch, (using your motherboard's manual), you could short the 2 power pins together with a metal screwdriver for a second. If it powers up, you know it is the power switch.

At this point I wouldn't think about getting a replacement HDD, because the computer should power up without a HDD installed, or even a blank, formatted HDD connected.

Another possible hardware failure could be the PSU, but usually when a power supply fails, you get a burnt smell, or a popping/crackling noise.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
You could have a virus, but it may be a hardware issue. If it it was a virus, it would at least get to the BIOS screen (black screen with blue Dell logo). I don't think it is a virus. Have you heard any pops or anything?

Jun 21, 2017
@kaptain My brother plays a game called Roblox and he does exploits on there. He downloaded a file called rc7 but it was a cracked version and the next day the computer was running slow and now it wont turn on at all

Jun 21, 2017
@herc i have not heard popping, when i plug it in it does nothing at all. just the green light on the back turns on. when i press the power button the led on the power button stays off and the monitor does not go to the dell logo

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

As okcnalinde said, have you flipped the switch? Again, it's not the hard drive, becuase if it was, you could get into the BIOS.

Jun 21, 2017
@oknaline it does not have a l and o button. if there is a way somehow i could send you a picture of my computer. and I did open it after i found out it would not turn on. i unplugged everything and plugged them back in one at a time to test if anyone of the hardware is defected and the light on the back didnt indicate hardware was a problem

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

[strike]On the back of your power supply, where your power cable is plugged in, there should be a main power switch. Something like this: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/02/28/strong_showing/superflower_speed_control.jpg

Make sure that switch is on the I, [/strike] Sorry, misread your message

try a different socket in your power strip

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
A "normal" virus that infected your HDD will not prevent the PC from at least letting you get into the BIOS. I guess a sophisticated virus could infect the BIOS chip itself, but highly unlikely in your case. This looks like a hardware issue. Unplug the power and sata cable to the HDD and try to power on the computer. You should get a message like "No Operating System Detected" or something similar.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
It could be something as simple as the front panel switch going bad, or one of the wires from the switch coming loose from the front panel header on the motherboard. If you can identify which pins on the motherboard's front panel header are for the power switch, (using your motherboard's manual), you could short the 2 power pins together with a metal screwdriver for a second. If it powers up, you know it is the power switch.

At this point I wouldn't think about getting a replacement HDD, because the computer should power up without a HDD installed, or even a blank, formatted HDD connected.

Another possible hardware failure could be the PSU, but usually when a power supply fails, you get a burnt smell, or a popping/crackling noise.

Solution