Solved! Can this laptop's HD be switched?

Dec 2, 2020
Costco has the HP 17-by2053cl laptop for $479. See
https/www.costco.com/hp-17.3%22-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i5-10210u---1080p.product.100685136.html. Looks good except the HD is a 5400 RPM SATA. Does anyone know if an SSD can be added to replace the 5400 SATA drive?

Solution
I don't know why it couldn't. Of course, you will have to image the SSD to contain the Windows install from the HD. There are many articles that step through that process. If the machine comes with 4GB of RAM, I would also upgrade that to 8GB assuming that is possible (small chance it won't be). www.crucial.com can provide compatible SSD and RAM devices.
I don't know why it couldn't. Of course, you will have to image the SSD to contain the Windows install from the HD. There are many articles that step through that process. If the machine comes with 4GB of RAM, I would also upgrade that to 8GB assuming that is possible (small chance it won't be). www.crucial.com can provide compatible SSD and RAM devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Dec 2, 2020

Thanks for the response. It comes with 12 GB of RAM, which is another reason why it interests me at $479. The CPU is 10th Gen Intel Core i5-10210U Processor, at 1.6GHz. I don't think that's a reason not to get the laptop, but please let me know if you disagree. I've also read a couple of negative reviews of HP's "base" laptops (those called just "HP" rather than Envy, Pavilion, etc.), but I think those pertain to computers with beginner specs, while the one I'm looking at has a resolution if 1920x1080 instead of 1600x900, and 12 GB RAM rather 4, so it doesn't have beginner specs -- at least as far as I can tell.

My last two laptops have been HP Envy's and I've been happy with them. I did have one power switch fail which was replaced under warranty. If a laptop has mostly good reviews, I discount a few bad ones. Some people just cant be pleased or don't know what they are doing. Legitimate problems usually show up as a trend. 12 GB should be plenty. You do need an SSD however! Unless you are a serious gamer or video editor you will likely do fine.