Question how to speed up a laptop cpu

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i'm looking at a HP 17.3 Model: 17-BY2053CL -- Intel i5-10th Gen Processor pc that has 1.6ghz base speed but the specs say this

Intel® Core™ i5-10210U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB L3 cache, 4 cores) so can the cpu be increased permanently or is that turbo boos a short term thing that seems to happen when the pc thinks it needs a bit of a boost? also is this pc one that is ready for win11 and will get all the updates and security for win11? thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
thanks it does not have a hd so yes i would put in an ssd drive. it takes the sata3 drive. but because you say the cpu can't be made faster permanently i will pass it by. my sister has a older pc that has 1.6ghz speed and that thing is so slow you can boil water faster than it can do online anything. also i got a hp allinone pc that was the same speed and that to was so slow that i finally just gave it away. so thanks i will look for a faster unit.

now i have hp probooks the 6470b and the 6570b at 2.4 to 2.6ghz but they do not meet win11 requirements and soon i will have to find some pcs that will meet those requirements so i get the proper updates and keep up on the security updates.
thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
yes i know about that. this is a new pc it is said to run 2.5ghz but when i did a test it ran 1.5ghz. i finally found out how to change the clock and now in task manage under performance it is running 2.4ghz for some reason the bios had only 1 core turned on. it now has all 4 cores running

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
thanks for the ideas. what i did was take out the 5400 rpm moto hard drive and put in a ssd 6gbps drive and that helped tons. i also did some teaks and got it to 2.4ghz. it does not seem to run hot and runs fast even on the 5g side of my wifi that is downstairs. it runs 75mbps on my 80mbps wifi speed. my lan pc runs 80mbps so it seems to be doing good now. it must have been the slow hard drive causing the issue.

USAFRet

Illustrious
thanks for the ideas. what i did was take out the 5400 rpm moto hard drive and put in a ssd 6gbps drive and that helped tons. i also did some teaks and got it to 2.4ghz. it does not seem to run hot and runs fast even on the 5g side of my wifi that is downstairs. it runs 75mbps on my 80mbps wifi speed. my lan pc runs 80mbps so it seems to be doing good now. it must have been the slow hard drive causing the issue.
The drive type in the system does not change the CPU speed, or the internet speed.

Changing to an SSD, as you have done, DOES change the whole feel and responsiveness of the system.

Lastly, be careful of listening to random AI bot replies.

Reactions: COLGeek

BlueBitz

Estimable
Jul 2, 2019
Turbo Boost is like a temporary speed boost when your PC needs it – not a permanent thing. So, the 1.6 GHz is the regular speed, but it can jump up to 4.2 GHz when necessary. About Windows 11, you might wanna check the official requirements.