Can Trojans infect other computers on a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNonEntity

Estimable
Sep 1, 2014
I have a secondary computer I play with and use for downloading apps before using them on my main computer to make sure they aren't viruses. I recently did get a virus on that secondary (I'm thinking a trojan), so I disconnected the ethernet cable and wiped the hard drive and started over as usual, but I noticed on my main computer, ESET started popping up notifications that my IP was being used a second time. It's being blocked, but could the virus have jumped through my network onto other computers without being physically connected or shared? I've never actually dealt with a virus, I usually just start from scratch after them - so any advice or tips are appreciated.

Solution
In short yes a trojan, or virus on one computer connected to a network with default folders selected to share music, videos, and documents can migrate to another computer connected to the same network.

If you have Virus protection that is running with real time memory scanning and system monitoring then it should protect the other systems connected to the same network.

But to be safe all of your computers you use that connect to your own home network should have antivirus software running on them.

Install something like AVG free 2016 on the other computers that use the network and run a scan to check each system.
And also install malware anti-bytes, both are free to download and use links bellow for download and install...

Shaun o

Distinguished
In short yes a trojan, or virus on one computer connected to a network with default folders selected to share music, videos, and documents can migrate to another computer connected to the same network.

If you have Virus protection that is running with real time memory scanning and system monitoring then it should protect the other systems connected to the same network.

But to be safe all of your computers you use that connect to your own home network should have antivirus software running on them.

Install something like AVG free 2016 on the other computers that use the network and run a scan to check each system.
And also install malware anti-bytes, both are free to download and use links bellow for download and install.

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Solution

iNonEntity

Estimable
Sep 1, 2014

Thanks. I have ESET running and doing a scan, should I download Malwarebytes anyway? I heard having two engines increases the chance of finding viruses. Also is there anything I should do about the IP thing?

Paul NZ

Admirable
Disable system restore on them then turn it back on. If ccleaner is installed run it, it maybe running in the temp folder/s

If you think it's on one of them install trojan remover install / run it / update it then scan

See if it picks anything up

It may also be a worm, and if it is it can also spread thru flash drives

Status
Not open for further replies.