Can Windows Phone Ever Bounce Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorribot

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
All mobile phones that appear on BBC programs are always Windows Phones. Not sure if this is product placement or they hope to be obscure and not supporting Apple or MS just give good support to allow the program makers to achieve what they want. It shows that MS is in there fighting on all fronts and is similar to the tactic Apple used when every laptop you saw in a film was a Mac.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
All mobile phones that appear on BBC programs are always Windows Phones. Not sure if this is product placement or they hope to be obscure and not supporting Apple or MS just give good support to allow the program makers to achieve what they want. It shows that MS is in there fighting on all fronts and is similar to the tactic Apple used when every laptop you saw in a film was a Mac.

That's just product placement. Just like all phones and tables in movies produced by Sony Pictures just happens to be Xperia devices, or most other films always have Apple computers even though those are pretty rare in real life. Microsoft has probably just bought the rights for a bunch of British media companies who "happens" to work a lot with BBC.

Mohd Shahril Kemis

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
hahahahah it seems most writers (like all of them) are "cleverly" using the above title... Iphone clearly have better profit margins.. but it sure look they're losing their mojo bit by bit... they do not want their tech angel Apple Inc to be lumped with the rest.. that graph shows Google SOLE dominance.. not a tag team ala WWE

Mohd Shahril Kemis

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
hahahahah it seems most writers (like all of them) are "cleverly" using the above title... Iphone clearly have better profit margins.. but it sure look they're losing their mojo bit by bit... they do not want their tech angel Apple Inc to be lumped with the rest.. that graph shows Google SOLE dominance.. not a tag team ala WWE

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I think a big issue is lack of Windows Phone options.
I currently have a Verizon Nokia 822 and it's a great phone, but now with my contract ending, I'm looking to upgrade or change carriers. There are only 2 WP phones on Verizon now and they are not even as good as my 822. On AT&T they have 3 Nokia's and the same HTC as Verizon. Going from my 822 the 635 is a downgrade, the 830 is a lateral move and the 1520 is $199. If I were to pay $199 for a phone, I'd go with a Galaxy S5, the 1520 is just too big and not as good in several ways.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
One word: Minecraft.

If MS releases a really fantastic, special, version of Minecraft and link that with features of Windows 10 on tablets and desktop/laptops, the phones will fly off the shelves into the hands of all the kids currently going crazy for MC. Then, as is usually the case, the devs will start work, the parents will want in on the 'I'm cool' thing and sales will increase.

It worked with Apple with the iPod. As for Google... That's cool NOW but people are actually buying SAMSUNG or HTC devices... consumers don't see the item as 'Android'. That will eventually hurt Google. I hope.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Windows OS is actually very fast and good, problem with it is that is tile based interface, that many Android users will avoid. Fix this cosmetic issue, or give developers freedom to make it look different and MS would start getting some love.

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
Those who brought up the product placement -- I definitely agree. That's probably because Microsoft likely has a substantial marketing budget. I've seen plenty of Windows 8 devices in my favorites shows and films...

@Martell1977 - very good point! One of the analysts actually said Microsoft's problem was a lack of a good flagship in 18 months now. After the 1020 and 1520, there hasn't really been a peep from the company. I'm excited to see what Microsoft/Nokia have to show if they do bring a new flagship device to market.

I'm very excited by Windows 10 and Xbox gaming on PC overall though.

EBizguru

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
That's just product placement. Just like all phones and tables in movies produced by Sony Pictures just happens to be Xperia devices, or most other films always have Apple computers even though those are pretty rare in real life. Microsoft has probably just bought the rights for a bunch of British media companies who "happens" to work a lot with BBC.

I suppose those confused by this could simply watch any NFL game and gain enlightenment. (Of course, it probably didn't help that the end users were referring to their wonderful Surface Tablets as iPads, huh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.