Solved! Can you connect a second subwoofer to your soundbar?

navid617

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
Hi,

I have a soundbar that already has a wireless sub attached to it (Vizio SB36512-f6). I wanted to add a second powered sub to my system. Is there a way to do this?

I was thinking of 2 ways:
  1. Bluray/Media box->Soundbar->TV->2nd Sub (via RCA)
  2. Open my wireless sub, find the input signals going into the amp and run them parallel to the 2nd sub. (Yes, I'm willing to try this).

What do you guys think? I would like to get away with #1 if it works. Any advice would be awesome!

Solution
What about an HDMI splitter? Connect one to the soundbar and the other to a converter w/ analog audio outputs to the sub and control the crossover point, phase, etc... with the sub. Volume still works. Personally, I'm not afraid to get into the 'guts' of the matter, but at the same time, keep it simple. I think both approaches would work fine.

navid617

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
How are you getting the signal into your soundbar? You want to control the volume of everything simultaneously, correct?

I'm getting the signal into the soundbar via HDMI. It supports HDMI passthrough. Then the HDMI signal passes to the tv.

I'd like to control the 2nd sub theough the TV or soundbar volume, but if that doesn't work, I can adjust the subwoofer gain dial.

The only way I can think of would be to install a subwoofer output on the wireless sub. It would not require too much skill to connect a speaker to level converter in parallel with the input to the woofer inside the cabinet and run the line level output to the additional sub. You don't want to use the crossover in that sub so use the LFE input if it has one or turn the frequency all the way up.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
What about an HDMI splitter? Connect one to the soundbar and the other to a converter w/ analog audio outputs to the sub and control the crossover point, phase, etc... with the sub. Volume still works. Personally, I'm not afraid to get into the 'guts' of the matter, but at the same time, keep it simple. I think both approaches would work fine.

Solution

navid617

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015
The only way I can think of would be to install a subwoofer output on the wireless sub. It would not require too much skill to connect a speaker to level converter in parallel with the input to the woofer inside the cabinet and run the line level output to the additional sub. You don't want to use the crossover in that sub so use the LFE input if it has one or turn the frequency all the way up.
That's the downside with most soundbars. I haven't seen a single soundbar with a wired subs. Once you install it, no room for upgrading/repairing.

navid617

Estimable
Dec 25, 2015

I tried approach 1. I have a 3.5mm output in my TV and I could hear it with earbuds. This works while my soundbar is working and I can control the aux volume with my TV and soundbar remotes. The only issue is that the aux signal is fairly weak. I'll test with some bookshelf speakers and if they work fine, I'll probably get a RCA adapter and buy the sub!

Thanks for the suggestions.