Canadian Teenagers Send Lego Man into Near Space

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I thought the "Totally fake the flag isn't even moving comment" was ironic - as in it is mocking the conspiracy theorists who claim the moon landings are not real as the flag doesn't move. That's how I read it anyway.

dribblesbarbax

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
[citation][nom]legomaninspace[/nom]I thought the "Totally fake the flag isn't even moving comment" was ironic - as in it is mocking the conspiracy theorists who claim the moon landings are not real as the flag doesn't move. That's how I read it anyway.[/citation]

Yayyy... someone understands. Was wondering how long it would take for someone to see the irony. Shame on every one else who didnt. Shame on you. Although it was enjoyable reading how someone was trying to prove its authenticity. He could've just said its a plastic flag.

dribblesbarbax

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
[citation][nom]intuition[/nom]Well done! I like such projects, but this video is far better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ0Ha2p8GjI[/citation]

Must be embarrassing to see jokes fly over your head. Look more irony!!!

dribblesbarbax

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
[citation][nom]biscuitasylum[/nom]Someone must have one of those expensive public education diplomas.[/citation]

Must be embarrassing to see jokes fly over your head. Look more irony!!!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Yea, I mean why not?I've always wanted to try an Old King Clancy in space...[/citation]
That's hardcore. All I've done so far is the Reverse Rick Moranis.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dribblesbarbax[/nom]Yayyy... someone understands. Was wondering how long it would take for someone to see the irony. Shame on every one else who didnt. Shame on you. Although it was enjoyable reading how someone was trying to prove its authenticity. He could've just said its a plastic flag.[/citation]
Yanks don't understand irony, the same way that rescue teams don't understand not to throw grenades at hostages.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I'm just wondering how did the battery camera lasted that long, and the box inst even well constructed, i fail to understand how it was able to record that long with 4 stripped separated camera. Second how did they recover the box after since on the way up to the firs 18KM distance the Balloon show had fly a very long path side ways taking it at least a big few of miles away from the point of origin. and when i mean a few i mean a few.. and by the way if it reached the 1 layer then i would had travel another long way since the air is thinner and fly distance seems to be reached faster.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]He must be a American with head stuck way up his a**or just extremely jealous it's not a American flag.[/citation]

But it IS an American Flag...

Why does everyone who isn't a U.S. citizen try to paint us all as a-holes all the time? One idiot online does not represent the mass majority. I believe the word I'm looking for is either "prejudicial" or "ethnocentric". Sorry we can't all be a humble, noble, genius like you.

Shodar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]I'm just wondering how did the battery camera lasted that long, and the box inst even well constructed, i fail to understand how it was able to record that long with 4 stripped separated camera. Second how did they recover the box after since on the way up to the firs 18KM distance the Balloon show had fly a very long path side ways taking it at least a big few of miles away from the point of origin. and when i mean a few i mean a few.. and by the way if it reached the 1 layer then i would had travel another long way since the air is thinner and fly distance seems to be reached faster.[/citation]

Someone didn't bother to read the whole article. It specifically states they used a cellphone with a GPS tracking app on it to locate the box after landing, AND it was located some 122KM from its launching point.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]damric[/nom]I would have used a space themed lego man, at least.[/citation]

I for one, would use a basic model man for the first flight. No kid wants to send his favorite spacey Lego man out when he doesn't know if he'll get it back. You can't have a basic Lego man driving around on your little virtual mars at home. When I was young I would send Lego men up in my Estes rockets. That was 20 years ago.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Shodar[/nom]Someone didn't bother to read the whole article. It specifically states they used a cellphone with a GPS tracking app on it to locate the box after landing, AND it was located some 122KM from its launching point.[/citation]
i read that part, what i fail to understand is that any smartphone which you need to run an gps tracking app which is very battery demanding by itself could last that long? Basically after going more than 6 killometers away from the reach of the Cell towers max distance of signal which will place the phone in roaming, which drain the battery 3 time faster as normal, and then lose signal which make the phone work 4 times harder as normal because is always pinging for signal. Then the dense of the humidity that is usual at those altitudes which would could not be stand by a phone which is not IP54 certified and tested. Thank you.

G

........Oh and, at 1:02, what's that spec in the background, over the horizon? ....

Must be a satellite ,some can be watched with binoculars.Beware of the sun or you'll get permanent damage on your eyes....

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]If I had done this I would of used Helium which can be freely obtained by electrolyzing water and would have enabled the balloon to go higher. Any fire risk would be minimal.[/citation]Almost exactly what I was thinking--only it's Hydrogen in water, not Helium. Hence the H2O, not He2O.

Status
Not open for further replies.