Solved! Cannot Access Previously Locked Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

theredx219

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
A while back, I decided to lock some important documents in a folder with a lot of my backup data, including old pictures, school projects, and such. To do so, I looked up tutorial online. I can't find the exact one, but basically, I did the following procedure:

Copy a "folder locking" script into notepad. This was a script that would make it so that a password was required to view any of the files in the specified folder. I copy and pasted this scrip offline into notepad, simply altering the line that specified what the password was.

I then saved this as a batch file that would run and require me to enter the password to unlock the folder before I could open the files. The batch file was saved and placed within the folder and stayed there with the files.

After moving my hard drive to a new pc, I tried to access these files, and I have not been able to. The batch file still exists, but upon clicking on the batch file, I get a windows error which reads as follows: "Windows cannot access the specified path, device, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the file." Upon clicking on the of the files, a photo for example, the Photos app opens with a message saying "We can't open this file." Opening a PDF opened up Microsoft Edge, but it only displays a blank screen.

It would seem that somewhere along the line, the file got messed up, or was not compatible with this pc. Long story short, I have not only memories, but important financial information in this locked folder that I need to be able to access. If you can offer any kind of solution, it would be greatly appreciated. I am no IT guy, but I would say that I am pretty tech savvy generally if that helps any. Thank you!

Solution
NTFS permissions would seem to be the issue here.

Those files/folders existed in a 'user' from the previous OS.
You then moved this drive (as a secondary drive?) to a new PC?
The current user has no direct permissions on those files.

Also, the path in your batch script is now different.
It used to talk to something on the C drive. Now, it is trying to do the same, but that locked folder now exists under a different drive letter.
It does not know where to find them.

USAFRet

Illustrious
NTFS permissions would seem to be the issue here.

Those files/folders existed in a 'user' from the previous OS.
You then moved this drive (as a secondary drive?) to a new PC?
The current user has no direct permissions on those files.

Also, the path in your batch script is now different.
It used to talk to something on the C drive. Now, it is trying to do the same, but that locked folder now exists under a different drive letter.
It does not know where to find them.

Solution

theredx219

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

So how could I fix this problem? I put the drive into my old PC, and I had the same result. Running the program as an administrator simply did nothing.

USAFRet

Illustrious

So this drive is now a secondary drive?

OK.
1. Permissions. Find the actual 'folder' and see if you can "Take Ownership" of it, from your current 'user'.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404240.aspx

2. Rewrite the batch file to point to the right location.

theredx219

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

I followed this guide, and my account and administrators both have full permission. Yet nothing has changed. I did notice that one of the Performance Log Users accounts has special permissions instead of full permissions. Maybe that could be something? Thank you for your help thus far.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, it would be specific permissions on that specific folder.

theredx219

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

For some reason I'm unable to change that. I am not able to check that box when I'm changing permissions.I don't understand how this problem came about in the first place. When I switched the HDD between machines, it was always my primary drive. I never reinstalled Windows when I switched it. I just used it as it was. Is there another way around this issue?

theredx219

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

For some reason I'm unable to change that. I am not able to check that box when I'm changing permissions.I don't understand how this problem came about in the first place. When I switched the HDD between machines, it was always my primary drive. I never reinstalled Windows when I switched it. I just used it as it was. Is there another way around this issue?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Right off the bat, you're lucky that the thing even booted up in the new hardware.
That often fails completely.

Why is it doing this now? Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.