Cannot Disable Intel Turbo Boost

Jan 9, 2018
Specs:
Razer Blade v4 (i7-6700HQ, GTX 970m), Windows 10

After multiple methods of attempting to disable Intel Turbo Boost on my laptop, it consistently clocks at around 3.10 GHz, even when idling. I've tried changing maximum processor state in Windows power options to 99% (and 90%, 50%, 10%...), entering the BIOS (which doesn't display the option for turbo boost), and using Intel XTU (which has the option for turbo boost grayed out). When unplugged, the processor doesn't turbo, with speeds at 1.0 GHz when idling.

Is there a solution for this model, other than the methods I've tried, or is it simply locked? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Why would you not want Turbo Boost? Is the CPU getting too hot?

It's pretty normal for a CPU (or specifically, for certain cores of that CPU) to clock up to full speed for short intervals of time. When the CPU gets something to do, the used cores speed up to finish the task fast, and clock down again when it's done. If your CPU stays at high clock speeds during idle without going back down, you either have too many background programs running or there actually is a problem, which I doubt.

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Why would you not want Turbo Boost? Is the CPU getting too hot?

It's pretty normal for a CPU (or specifically, for certain cores of that CPU) to clock up to full speed for short intervals of time. When the CPU gets something to do, the used cores speed up to finish the task fast, and clock down again when it's done. If your CPU stays at high clock speeds during idle without going back down, you either have too many background programs running or there actually is a problem, which I doubt.

Solution

ZRace

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Have you tried other possible solutions for this bug aside from trying to disable Turbo Boost? All other fixes listed here (click) won't hamper your overall system performance. Disabling Turbo Boost will.

You'll have to look at your mainboard's manual to find out where the Turbo Boost toggle is for you, every mainboard is different.

(Edited by helpstar because the thread was hijacked and I had to delete the other posts. The last question about the motherboard of the other asked question wasn't in context anymore.)