Aug 1, 2022
I have an ACER 2-in-1, 11" Windows 10 lap-tablet. I have been extremely pleased with it with one exception. Since 2019 I cannot download and install any new Windows update. This is because of a memory issue. (Why since 2019 and only no dealing with it? Only just this week finally installed powerful enough wifi in the house to work this problem.)

The updater has filled my 32 GB SSD with update files that I can not see nor delete nor sift... More than 13 GB.

I have run Clean Disk, I have tried a few things from other sources, I looked for the "windows.old" folder. There wasn't one. Nothing has worked.

When I use he disk cleaner tool in the System Tools, I see more than 9 GB of apps, but do not have 9 GB of apps. The app states more than 20 GB of system but will not allow me to look at any of it. It shows 1.9 GB of temp files, but when I pull up the list there is less than 30 MB and even none of that will actually delete.

What can I do? I need this lap-tablet. I have a fully licensed full version of Word, but without the Windows update, it will not update my Word. And I cannot just delete and start over, I do not have those technical skills and I am worried about losing my version of Word (my license is under an ancient logon that is long gone.)

Any suggestions will be tried. Thanks everyone.

Aug 1, 2022
----- UPDATE ------ UPDATE ----- UPDATE ----- UPDATE -----

Just since posting the message less than 24-hours ago, the Windows update ate up the whole amount of the 750 MB I had managed to free up. I am down to 24 MB. It is definitely the Windows update that is causing this problem.

Please, how can I stop the Windows update from doing this and what can I do to undo the data dump?

USAFRet

Illustrious
----- UPDATE ------ UPDATE ----- UPDATE ----- UPDATE -----

Just since posting the message less than 24-hours ago, the Windows update ate up the whole amount of the 750 MB I had managed to free up. I am down to 24 MB. It is definitely the Windows update that is causing this problem.

Please, how can I stop the Windows update from doing this and what can I do to undo the data dump?
The "problem" is the drive is too small.
32GB is simply not enough for a current Windows install. Has not been enough for several years.

I had a similar little system, and the only way to do that Update was via a flash drive.

From some other working system, create a new Win 10 USB.
Free up as much space as you can on the 32GB.
Boot from the USB, and you might be able to do the update.

But really, 32GB is too small.

Aug 1, 2022
The "problem" is the drive is too small.
32GB is simply not enough for a current Windows install. Has not been enough for several years.

I had a similar little system, and the only way to do that Update was via a flash drive.

From some other working system, create a new Win 10 USB.
Free up as much space as you can on the 32GB.
Boot from the USB, and you might be able to do the update.

But really, 32GB is too small.

While I agree if I were working with a non-mobile device that Windows installs too large for 32 GB, but this is a mobile device and should be attempting to update a version of Windows designed for mobile devices. Could this be the problem? Is the Windows Updater attempting to update a full PC version of Windows when my unit should only have the mobile version?

I also bought this at the Best Buy and they indicated that it uses a "tablet" version of Windows. (I actually asked about the size of Windows installs as I used to have an actual Windows laptop that I upgraded the internal drive - at the same Best Buy - in order to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10.) I know those guys aren't exactly Microsoft technicians, but they should still know their products.

A for the "Flash" drive updater... I don't know how to do that. How do I get a bootable version of Windows onto that flash drive in the first place - AND - how do I get my tablet to boot from the USB flash drive? I have the flash drive, 32 GB. I could do this today with the steps.

Thanks.

dublin123

Estimable
Jun 17, 2019
Has anyone else had problems with a recent Windows 10 update? The August updates slowed down my laptop to a degree that made it almost unusable. When I reversed them, the issue was solved, however I can only delay updates for a month.