Cannot install Windows after getting a new ssd. Please help!

Jun 27, 2018
I have Lenovo G50-70 laptop. It's hard drive started showing problems. After a diagnostic test, I found out that it had many bad sectors and was corrupted. Then, I zero formatted it using SeaTools bootable and ordered an SSD.

After that, I installed the SSD where the hard drive was and installed the old hard drive in place of optical drive using a 9mm caddy. ([Saw it here](https://youtu.be/J56yj8_QHVM))

Now, when I boot from a Windows 10 bootable usb, it shows a blue screen with Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected it can't be accessed. Code 0xc00000f

I had a Windows 7 iso, too. It showed that Windows failed to start. This could be due to recent hardware/ software changes

I also had a Kali Linux iso. It works fine. It also gets installed without any problems.

I was finally able to remove the HDD. Yet, it still shows a blue screen after booting from USB. Says -
Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

Please help me. I have searched everywhere for this issue, to no avail. Any input would be highly appreciated.

UPDATE- I tried removing both SSD and HDD and then booting from USB. Still, getting the same error. The boot configuration failed because a required device is inaccessible

Solution
Is linux actually being installed on the hdd or is it just booting from usb? Sorry ive never dealt with linux.

It seems like laptop is looking for the bootloader file windows installs on the hdd. Since the hdd has been wiped its giving you the inaccessible error. Laptops can be funny like that.

I suggested load bios defaults, try this again but first remove the cmos battery for 30seconds or so. Put battery back, power on and try load bios defaults again. With any luck the bios wont attempt to search boot loader and allow you to proceed installing windows.

As for usb, Windows media creation tool should format usb as fat32 before putting files onto it so should be bootable going by your attempt with linux. Bios wont read ntfs formats...
Jun 27, 2018
Hi webworkings. I got the iso from official installation media tool from Microsoft. Also, sorry for the down vote. I am new to the forum, touched the wrong button on mobile :p
Thanks for the reply

boju

Distinguished
There could be something wrong with the usb stick, configured for repairer rather than reinstall?

So you're able to install Linux, so the ssd is detected.

Not exactly sure what code 0xc00000f means, think it means it's to do with boot loader that was on the original hdd the laptop fails to detect. Have you tried to put the old hdd back or has it been wiped?

Suppose you know how to get into your boot options of your laptop, think it's either F1 F2 or F12. Boot menu on laptops is different to bios boot order as in telling the laptop to boot from usb/dvd by pressing a key first just after powering up the laptop. Secure boot.

So the drive is definitely being detected in the bios?

Was there a Win10 previously installed on this machine? Has bios been set to uefi boot mode?

If all else fails, load bios defaults, reconfigure bios to allow usb boot and try boot menu again as you turn the machine on.

Jun 27, 2018
Hi! Thanks for taking time to reply.

I wiped the original HDD completely, using zero fill format. I tried to boot from USB with original HDD inserted as well as removed. Both scenarios lead to Blue Screen with error message given above.

Lenovo laptop have a different procedure to get into boot menu, through a separate NOVO button. So, yes I have don't that and yet, same result

Yes, both drives are getting detectEd in BIOS definitely, no issues in that.

Yes, win10 was installed before in the old HDD. Yes, the bios has been set to uefi mode. I also tried using the legacy mode and then creating a MBR partitioned USB in Rufus, same result

I did the last thing you said many times, same result :((

Oh, and also, I tried using two USB sticks, will try using a third in a while.

Really thanks for replying, please, any help is appreciated.

boju

Distinguished
Is linux actually being installed on the hdd or is it just booting from usb? Sorry ive never dealt with linux.

It seems like laptop is looking for the bootloader file windows installs on the hdd. Since the hdd has been wiped its giving you the inaccessible error. Laptops can be funny like that.

I suggested load bios defaults, try this again but first remove the cmos battery for 30seconds or so. Put battery back, power on and try load bios defaults again. With any luck the bios wont attempt to search boot loader and allow you to proceed installing windows.

As for usb, Windows media creation tool should format usb as fat32 before putting files onto it so should be bootable going by your attempt with linux. Bios wont read ntfs formats as you're probably aware.

Solution

boju

Distinguished
Cmos battery on the motherboard if you've never done this before, just in case you think i meant laptop battery :)

lithium_bios_battery.jpg

Jun 27, 2018
Oh my god u/boju, it really worked!!!!!! I don't believe it! Just to clarify, I searched the Lenovo forums regarding resetting the CMOS battery, a post said that as the cmos is soldiered into the motherboard, the closest thing I could do was remove the battery and hold the power button for 15 seconds. I did that, and, well it worked! I got booted in the win10 setup!!

And, with the SSD it's now working, like BLAZING FAST! I am really thankful to you all for helping me! Thanks, again!!

boju

Distinguished
Stubborn laptops. Glad it worked out for ya.

Cmos batteries like any other battery has an expiry, they'll eventually go flat albeit they do last a long time. Who ever thought cmos batteries are ever soldered were confused and probably meant the cpu which are often soldered.