Canon Announces EOS Rebel T4i DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sadly they used the *same* sensor as the T2i, T3i cameras, with a slight adaptation for the improved video focusing. Nikon and the rest must be high-fiving, since it seems Canon cannot come up with a better APS-C sensor than the old 18mp one. :(

I just bought a T2i for a good price when the stats for the T4i were released...

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]UpsetCanonFollower[/nom]Sadly they used the *same* sensor as the T2i, T3i cameras, with a slight adaptation for the improved video focusing. Nikon and the rest must be high-fiving, since it seems Canon cannot come up with a better APS-C sensor than the old 18mp one. I just bought a T2i for a good price when the stats for the T4i were released...[/citation]

Sadly? Have you really even used your T2i? The T2i produces fantastic images, the sensor is very good and 18MP is plenty. At 25MB for each RAW file, i'm not sure i want any higher MP. Remember this is still an entry DSLR.
TH doesn't go in depth on how the AF system is improved. The largest improvement really is through video. Not sure if you've tried to use autofocus while using liveview/video, but it's just terrible. This new autofocus system allows for much faster and accurate focusing during video.

I'm strongly considering ditching my T2i for the T4i.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I've been seriously considering the Nikon D7000 as a Christmas present for myself. I'll have to dig through the specs and reviews of this before I make up my mind in a few months. Since I don't own either Nikon or Canon lenses at the moment I could go either way. Although by that time there might be a D7100 to also consider.

G

touch screen !! will it auto focus at the point where i tap/touch whhen shooting video??

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]UpsetCanonFollower[/nom]Sadly they used the *same* sensor as the T2i, T3i cameras, with a slight adaptation for the improved video focusing. Nikon and the rest must be high-fiving, since it seems Canon cannot come up with a better APS-C sensor than the old 18mp one. I just bought a T2i for a good price when the stats for the T4i were released...[/citation]

I recall Engadget saying that it's the same pixel count but it's been significantly reworked.

As for the overall package, I'm still very satisfied with my 1000D so I won't be replacing it for years.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]crb[/nom]touch screen !! will it auto focus at the point where i tap/touch whhen shooting video??[/citation]
I believe so. The added video capabilities and touch screen are the two main upgrades in this rendition. I'm excited most about the auto-focus in live view and 1080p capture.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Interestingly enough my mother just bought a T3 (I told her to buy a T3i, but she's more of an amateur so it doesn't matter). How well are they built?

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]tbq[/nom]I've been seriously considering the Nikon D7000 as a Christmas present for myself. I'll have to dig through the specs and reviews of this before I make up my mind in a few months. Since I don't own either Nikon or Canon lenses at the moment I could go either way. Although by that time there might be a D7100 to also consider.[/citation]
If you are going to wait until Christmas Amazon.com should have some killer black Friday deals. That is how I got my T3i - I was either going to go with a Nikon because I've heard their lenses tend to be of better quality, but the T2i and T3i do well with higher ISO. During black Friday they had a deal for a T3i with the 18-50mm kit lens as well as the 50-250mm lens for $850. It was a killer deal that I'm glad I got.

I'm curious how many pictures you can actually take at 5.0 frames per second before the buffer fills up. Gordon Laing made an excellent youtube video review between the Canon T3i and Nikon D5100 and the T3i filled up rather quickly on its buffer, whereas the Nikon continued shooting. This really isn't a feature I need, but if I did need it I would definitely want to know if the 5.0 fps lasts longer than the T3i does.

Now if only I wasn't too broke to afford some of those nice L series lenses!!

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Get the Canon 60D instead, it is amazing and is now $899 or less for the body, and refub is even cheaper (a real refurb from b&h direct from canon that is). I use it for video, stills, forensics with 3d reconstruction and overexposed night imagery etc. The real win is the flip out lcd for video. 12800 isn't a very effective sensitivity range, anything past 2500 or so gets grainy in the DIGICiv processor used in the canon series.

G

Who the hell would buy this over the a77. Unless your invested in canon lenses you'd be mad to chose this over the competition. A77 eats this for lunch, breakfast and dinner. five frames a second.....I think I just fell asleep.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I hope the continuous auto focus in video mode can be turned off.
The last thing you need in editing is an HD scene where you can see the auto focus 'hunting'.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Wellspring[/nom]Who the hell would buy this over the a77. Unless your invested in canon lenses you'd be mad to chose this over the competition. A77 eats this for lunch, breakfast and dinner. five frames a second.....I think I just fell asleep.[/citation]

Sony over Canon ?
I don't think so.
I've shot over 40,000 images on my trusty old D-300; many from aircraft and Helicopters. Not a single hickup and the noise reduction is excellent. Don't get me wrong, in video we shoot a lot on Panasonic and Sony ENG cameras. Excellent gear, but Sony is ALWAYS the more expensive one, and they tend to have non standard everyhing. Just take their darn memory sticks...

Status
Not open for further replies.