Canon EOS 5D Mark III Available This Month for $3500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
man I love these cameras. I got myself a T3i to start shooting video and learn how to do cinematography. Mark II and Mark III are full frame cameras that deliver insane S/N especially in low light.

The only downside when shooting DSLR is the spatial beating or Moire Pattern that occur due to sensor line skipping. Also there is issue with aliasing when shooting horizontal lines since small camera tills can cause jaggedness.

I wish i know how to get access to the sensor array and instruct it to not skip lines but instead over sample by assigning multiple sensor pixel to do the job of one pixel. Because if that happens, one can get rid of Moire pattern while still recording 1080p. Moire pattern is different than Aliasing and people often get them confused. Aliasing is under sampling, more pattern is an equivalent phenomena to sound beats except they are beats in spacial space rather than frequency space. Moire occurs when spacing between sensor arrays are close to spacing between the stripy patterns of the subject being recorded. This is analogue to beating that occur during sampling a signal near the signals frequency or when two sound waves with roughly similar frequencies overlap, beats occurs due to summation.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I have myself a 1100D, I would die if I won this in a competition or something.
I love my 1100D even though it's a basic DSLR, but I can't afford to really step it up to the next level.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
A serious camera for photography of course; but I'd not get too excited on the video option.
If you do work at this level a dedicated Video cam is definitely the better way to go.
Still, having the option of taking some good quality video backup footage now and then is appreciated.

G

At last! Seems like a great set of features, nice to see 24p, along with the improved audio levels. Bit expensive compared to the Mark II though, I'm curious how it'll compare.

maga

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
ouuuuu its "5d mark iii" scary...
why didnt tom care about nikon's d800
oh ohh wait its "CANON" the new apple camera manufacturer .

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]man I love these cameras. I got myself a T3i to start shooting video and learn how to do cinematography. Mark II and Mark III are full frame cameras that deliver insane S/N especially in low light.The only downside when shooting DSLR is the spatial beating or Moire Pattern that occur due to sensor line skipping. Also there is issue with aliasing when shooting horizontal lines since small camera tills can cause jaggedness. I wish i know how to get access to the sensor array and instruct it to not skip lines but instead over sample by assigning multiple sensor pixel to do the job of one pixel. Because if that happens, one can get rid of Moire pattern while still recording 1080p. Moire pattern is different than Aliasing and people often get them confused. Aliasing is under sampling, more pattern is an equivalent phenomena to sound beats except they are beats in spacial space rather than frequency space. Moire occurs when spacing between sensor arrays are close to spacing between the stripy patterns of the subject being recorded. This is analogue to beating that occur during sampling a signal near the signals frequency or when two sound waves with roughly similar frequencies overlap, beats occurs due to summation.[/citation]

it is possible if you have your PC act as a controller for the camera, but you are limited to stop motion as the full sensor can generally only be refreshed 3-5 times per second

lines are skipped in order to reach 24-30FPS at 1080p

full sized means you can do stop motion at 4K resolution

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Not that impressive. Only 6fps for stills and only 29 Min and 60 secs of video recording isn't much of an improvement. But I would love to have the 61 point focusing system. You think that with Digic 5+, it should be able to process 8+ fps for stills.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Not that impressive. Only 6fps for stills and only 29 Min and 60 secs of video recording isn't much of an improvement. But I would love to have the 61 point focusing system. You think that with Digic 5+, it should be able to process 8+ fps for stills.[/citation]It has to do more with bandwidth then processing. I'm sure if they wanted to they could have reduced megapixels and increased shooting speed like Nikon does. It would have been a nice option to shoot faster in sRAW modes that requires less bandwidth.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Not that impressive. Only 6fps for stills and only 29 Min and 60 secs of video recording isn't much of an improvement. But I would love to have the 61 point focusing system. You think that with Digic 5+, it should be able to process 8+ fps for stills.[/citation]

I think Canon is dedicating 5D line to more Video users considering that the improvements have been leaning toward video.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
improvements to video also improve stills, eg increasing the SNR is great for high ISO video and photos, though for me, since I don't take pictures of animals, (mostly still objects) I use the lowest ISO 90% of the time since no matter how good the camera is, a lower ISO offers less noise.

The 30 minute limit is a software limit and a firmware mod can remove it. Though the reason the limit is there is when the CMOS sensor is running at close to it's full bit rate, it gets very hot, and unlike a camera such as a RED epic, the heatsink on the canon 5d (not sure about the newest one), is basically a hunk of metal with no fins, While on a full on video camera, you have the equivalent of a laptop CPU heatsink on the CMOS sensor.

eg here is the heatsink on a RED camera http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/red-x-mysterium-sensor-behind-heatsink.jpg

I wonder if it is possible to mod the camera to have a better heatsink, or probably an external one if you want to completely dedicate it to video.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]improvements to video also improve stills, eg increasing the SNR is great for high ISO video and photos, though for me, since I don't take pictures of animals, (mostly still objects) I use the lowest ISO 90% of the time since no matter how good the camera is, a lower ISO offers less noise.The 30 minute limit is a software limit and a firmware mod can remove it. Though the reason the limit is there is when the CMOS sensor is running at close to it's full bit rate, it gets very hot, and unlike a camera such as a RED epic, the heatsink on the canon 5d (not sure about the newest one), is basically a hunk of metal with no fins, While on a full on video camera, you have the equivalent of a laptop CPU heatsink on the CMOS sensor.eg here is the heatsink on a RED camera http://www.extremetech.com/wp-cont [...] atsink.jpgI wonder if it is possible to mod the camera to have a better heatsink, or probably an external one if you want to completely dedicate it to video.[/citation]

Yeah i agree but they didnt go and add an higher res sensor. The current upgrades are going to benefit both photographers and videographers.

I wonder how much thermal noise you can get for long operation. Hmm, I should go and test noise increase due to long operatio on my T3i.

G

Most countries max out camera video taking to 30 minutes by law so that's why...not capability...

nbraybrook

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I am excited about the 5dmkIII, I have the 5D2 already. Its a great cam, I am disappointed about the massive price hike compared what the 5D2 was when it came out. 1000$ more because it has better AF and some other video features? I dont think that warrants a body only 1000$ price hike. Same thing they did with the 24-70 II, its 1000$ than the original and more than a 70-200 f2.8 IS II?! I want one but not enough to drop 3500$ on a body only right now.. I need to see more sample images and some reviews to see where that extra 1000$ is going...

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]I think Canon is dedicating 5D line to more Video users considering that the improvements have been leaning toward video.[/citation]

I think that's what they are doing with the C300.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Not that impressive. Only 6fps for stills and only 29 Min and 60 secs of video recording isn't much of an improvement. But I would love to have the 61 point focusing system. You think that with Digic 5+, it should be able to process 8+ fps for stills.[/citation]

This type cam is usually not used by consumers and any type of professional video production will be more than happy with the 29 minute limit for a single take.
Typically your scenes are less than a minute each !

Of course you may have some other type video shoot in mind, you bad boy... :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Most countries max out camera video taking to 30 minutes by law so that's why...not capability...[/citation]

Hmmm, can you cite a source for that please?
Never heard of such a law and would like to read up on why that may be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.