Canon PowerShot A70

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
One of the best cameras for the price range. Nothing much to dislike about the camera. It was perfected over 3 generations, so all the quirks should be out. (A10/20, A30/40, A60/70.) It has manual mode which is not available on many cameras in the same class at the A70. Manual mode is excellent for nighttime scenery pictures. www.dcresource.com www.dpreview.com are two good sites to look at digicam. DC resource's editor (jeff keller) says it the way it is. If he doesn't like it, he'd made sure it was heard.

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Only complaint is, as some review sites has shown in their sample pics and review, it tends to smear or blur some details. I noticed it wasn't as completely sharp as other less expensive cams, however this is the ultimate level IMO for excellent priced 3.2MP digicams, has tons of features.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=purple><b>The official Tom's Hardware Guide Forums Photo Album, click here to contribute!</font color=purple></b></A>

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
There is very few cameras that doesn't have purple fringing or image distoration. When compared to other cameras in this price range, this one has the most features for the money.

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I never spoke of distortion or purple fringing, I am talking about the muddy detail sometimes found. Also, Imaging Ressource found it has very bad red-eye problems, even with Red-eye reduction on.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=purple><b>The official Tom's Hardware Guide Forums Photo Album, click here to contribute!</font color=purple></b></A>

sparky1120

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I recently bought an Hp 3 mpix camera for $185 in a closeout sale. It has the shortcoming of a max (SD) 128mb memory stick, about 100 pics in hi res mode, but for the price it was a good buy and the picture quality is as good as the canon.

Digital cameras still suck indoors when compared to good 35mm cameras. There are no decent optics upgrades or connections for external flash etc.

Just keep your eyes open. Remember the memory sticks are expensive

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
There ARE Flash AND Lens connectivity add-ons. Some digicams DO allow it, like the A70.

As for indoors, dunno what to say, but the A70 is a true performer at extremely low light settings. It's although a matter of long shutter times.

--

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
i have a cannon A70 myself and i can say its VERY nice.

comming from a hobby photographer, used to using a fully manual SLR camera. i must say that the features and ease of use of the A70 are fantastic.

RED EYE, yes the cannon sucks at red eye reduction i have Many Many evil devil pics of myself and friends.

however i am a graphics designer and with a little PS or GIMP i can have a fully fixed face in a few minutes.

what was funny is when i took a photo of a friend the flash was so powerfull that when i was taking the photo and looking at her, i could see her red-eye with my naked eyes LOL.

other than that, the camera does have a slight distortion of shape around the edges of things (as shown in the grid test at the reviewing places that were linked to)

i have yet to see the purple fringe on things.

other than that its VERY VERY good. i am mighty pleased with it, it has cepear, B/W, and a few other saturation settings, it has moive mode, (nice but not for film makers LOL) its function modes such as night shot, action shot, etc... are very nice.

only crit about taking photos is it has a very big delay between pressing the button and taking the photo, and it doesn't always focus on the subject you are trying to focus it on in auto mode, and the screen would be to small to see if its in focus (although it does provide a square to show where its focusing so you can tell if its right before the photo is taken.

but yeah for budget its nice.

Alltaken

Auburn9698

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Digital cameras still suck indoors when compared to good 35mm cameras. There are no decent optics upgrades or connections for external flash etc.
WTF?!?! I really hope you're just talking about the cheapest digital cameras. There are digital camera equivalents for pretty much every type of 35mm camera. From your most basic, up to digital SLRs. Nikon D100, Canon EOS 10D, etc, are digital cameras that do everything a film SLR will do.

<A HREF="http://www.phototalk.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=3394&ppuser=663" target="_new">My phototalk gallery</A>
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
"sigh"
My dad suggested he will actually pay the extra to get the A70, over the D-560 from Olympus.
I was pretty happy, but I had doubts. The cam's got excellent features. But upon looking again and again and in different websites, at the pictures, I can't help but feel they are sub-par. It's true, the picture has lots of "muddied" areas like the grass and trees. I found that the Olympus (yes!) is sharper.
Someone agree before I go thinking my overall good vision is going wrong!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Olympus D-560 is all automatic though, which limits features considerably. Manual mode comes in real handy at times (trust me, I've used it.)

Edvardas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
I found Canon IXUS V3 at a local shop. on paper it looks good, but I was unable to find any rewievs about on any sites. Does any one of you have such a cam?

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I know that, I've read tons of reviews on all digicams I've considered. And that is besides the point. What good are those features if my image in my eyes is simply NOT as good?

Somebody double-check for me.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
This had got to be the most nervous purchase I've ever been through, having to choose between two cameras switching features back and forth. (price aside)
I have an almost certain feeling I will buy one, and regret not getting the other, whichever it ends up being.

On one hand Olympus wins hands down the detail, especially DYNAMIC RANGE, which is noticeably weaker in the Imaging Ressource test results, for the A70. And this is exactly what the "muddy/blurry" problems are. On the other hand, feature-wise and even simply fun usability goes to the Canon for having sound options, background options and the myriad of features. On the special hand, Canon offers excellent night shots and has an AF Illuminator.

But the problem is, it's all great but in the end, the image quality is the most important factor in a digicam, and no feature in that Canon will fix the bad dynamic range AFAIK.

On the Olympus hand as well, you only need 2 batteries, which saves me some money. It does downsize the time of use by 2x , but I am no LCD surfer that stays for hours on it, so 102 minutes is plentiful for a "with LCD" mode. Heck, with no LCD, it lasts 190 hours, more than 10 times the Canon without LCD.
Not to mention it has a nice 1.8" LCD (I'll give it a test drive this weekend when I go to Future Shop and test the two digicams more carefully), though with 85K pixels only.

So, as you can all see, it is troublesome. I am really lost in what I should go for. I am tempted as hell to get the A70, despite the smaller LCD which I don't like, but the image quality suffers from bad dynamic range which muddies up trees and grass the most. (as well as having BAD red-eye even with Red-Eye reduction AND lots of purple fringing as seen clearly <A HREF="http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a70-review/IMG_9732-pp.JPG" target="_new">here</A> [you can see both the muddy scenery and the purple fringing.) One wonders if perhaps a new firmware version is possible and available that could help this.

:eek:

EDIT: If some A70 owner could provide some shots (maybe he might have a better firmware or such), of nature and people in the picture (I've yet to see that in reviews for it, and my goal is to find more pics showing family pics or people in it to see how it displays their skin tones, brightness and detail), I'd appreciate it.
--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/29/03 03:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Auburn9698

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
[smartass comment]

Well, ya know, if you'd gotten off your butt and gotten a job this summer, you'd have more money and then you could get a better cam than either of them.

[/smartass comment]

32 days and counting.....
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
*cries uncontrollably* Meanie Ruben-wannabe!

--

Auburn9698

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Uh-oh, I'm a meanie now. Great, are we going to have to get you your own school now, too, Ede? Like the gay kids. And your own forum, so you won't have to put with meanies?

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
LOL, methinks YOU should get YOUR own school, mr. Ruben-lover. Yeah yeah, a school for Ruber-wannabeees! You like the sweaty smell of his fans just like him! :tongue:

--

Auburn9698

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Sheesh, I point out the REAL Ruben-lover and you still won't stop busting my chops about that mofo. I just don't get it.

Ya bastard!

eden

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
On a more serious note, somebody help me with my digicam problem, I'm about to bust a cap!

--