Canon SX40HS Battery Questions

pattitufford

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Sorry if these are dumb questions...
My sister just gave me a used Canon PowerShot SX40 HS. It would turn on and off, but the lens wouldn't go in and out.
I took the battery out and left at The Source to see if I could get it fixed, but Canon wanted $65.00 CAN. just to send it in, so I said forget it, picked it up and have been looking on the internet to see if I can fix it myself.
Since I brought it back from The Source, it has stopped working completely.

Is there a way I can test the battery? (There wasn't a charger with it).
The Battery pack says: NB -10L 7.4V 920mAh 6.8 Wh(Li-ion)

I have my little battery tester with the positive & negative leads, but the options are:
1)AAA-N 50mA 1.5V/ AA-C-D 150 mA
2) Button Cell 1.5V 1mA
3) Lithium 3V 1 mA
4) Photo 6V
5) 9V, 12V, 15V, 22.5V
So I wasn't sure if any of them were appropriate!

I "think" I fixed the lens problem (???) but I can't test it.....and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on new chargers and/or batteries if I can't get the camera to work!

The second big question I have is this: I have all kinds of chargers for different things....is it possible to use one of them?
If so, does the charger have to have the exact same specs as the battery? Or, can I use one that has say, more than 7.4 V? Or would it have to be less?
Sorry for these questions!!!
If anyone has a few minutes, I would really appreciate any direction you could give me.
Thanks so much!

Solution
Most likely the lens motor is just broken. If you send it to canon they will fix it, but you CANNOT test the parts yourself without making canon tell you to fork over >$150 because you voided the device.

Basically, if you have to ask these questions, you are NOT ready to tinker with the camera to fix it yourself. Don't bother unless you want to buy a new one.
Most likely the lens motor is just broken. If you send it to canon they will fix it, but you CANNOT test the parts yourself without making canon tell you to fork over >$150 because you voided the device.

Basically, if you have to ask these questions, you are NOT ready to tinker with the camera to fix it yourself. Don't bother unless you want to buy a new one.

Solution