G

I sure wish Tom and Team would do there standerd (highly profesional) testing on the DVRex Video Capture card. I also wonder if any insiders could shed some light on why Canopus still does not supply the 4X AGP Explode graphics card? They are still on 2X.

G

Have a look at www.videoguys.com, my you will find some info there.
Yes it would be nice to see Tom's doing reviews of video capture/editing cards.
Good luck!

G

Although I agree, that could easily get out of hand quite quickly. I mean it is sort of like testing high end 3D cards... how far do you go? Especially since the line between hardware and software gets very fuzzy along the way.

But as to the Canopus, Avid Xpress DV systems use Canopus boards, so I think you can assume they are pretty good in terms of quality and performance.

Balgillow

Trust in Murphy, the God of Inevitability

G

Hey man go for Pinnacle Miro capture cards. My friend recently bought DC30+. I have some DC30Pro in my universities. They all are good, very good. I am gonna buy DC50. In ebay if you will try harder you can get DC30 for aroun $200-250 :)

G

I don't think that is entirely true about editing cards. Alot of software is used with them but how they use the software (time wish) is of great importance.

Things like how fast they render something with certain software could be tested. Something like toms new flask benchmark, this basically comes down to time witch maybe important to many people wanting to start their own desk top editing. My lack of knowledge does not allow me to come up with a better example but I am sure that there is some relavant testing tom's could be doing.
When it comes down to the wire I think Tom's just does not have the resources/man power to be evaluating a whole new line of products. Either that or they're not interested.

Take care

G

I have been keeping my eye on this feild for a few years now. I would definantly stay away from Pinnical(previously Miro) boards unless you like the pain of editing for 1 hour then have some kind of a glitch that then takes days to figure out and then days more to reconfigure/reinstall/format reinstall againg and againg and againg so on....

I am very confident that Canopus is rock solid. Just like there moto says "just edit". I do not have any real life experiance with any board but as I said, I have been reading/participating in many message boards for the last few years and the results are allways the same. BUY A CANOPUS :) if you can afford it(aprox. $2000/$2500 usd). They do have a slimed down board or 2 for the smaller budgets.

I think that there is not enough demand for these products to be fully digested by Tom and team. BUT.... look at the new low end Mac and PC machines that are coming bundled with some kind of video editing capability. Then take a look at the ever expanding internet use. Then take a look at the ever growing broad band coverage. I truly believe that average person will be using the net for free,quality video phone calls via a capture card in the not so distant future. Then the home edited movie will become as common as the family photo album. All of this means that Tom will (by default) include these products in his teams testing.
Just my teribly spelled opinion :)

Mark B. "just edit"

Brada

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In my country, Pinnacle/Miro distributor was very lazy, and their support was the same as miro's. Canopus support is really good, there are no compatibility problems, the hardware and software is very reliable. And if you compare, Canopus codec is much faster than others. I wouldn't buy Pinnacle or Matrox - i can't afford something else than EZDV, but this is really OK (and it costs $230!)

TRENDING THREADS