Can't change screen brightness in Windows 10 on Lenovo Z500, tried many things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikabanga

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi,

My sister's Lenovo Z500 is having a problem where you can't change the brightness of the monitor (brightness is stuck on very low). Plugged in or not doesn't change anything.

After some searching I have tried the following with no result:

- Updated Intel HD Graphics Driver
- Updated Nvidia GTX740M Graphics Driver
- Enabled/disabled the PnP-monitor in the Device Manager
- Enabling/disabling adaptive screen brightness in the power settings for the current battery plan

Solution
I had experienced this issue right after upgrading to Win 10 on my HP EliteBook 8570p and figured out the solution. Unfortunately, possibly due to a Win 10 update, the issue reappeared and I couldn't remember how I'd solved it so I had to start digging around again for a solution. This post pointed me in the right direction and with a little more troubleshooting, I discovered that if you are running TeamViewer, it installs a "PnP-Monitor (Standard)" driver which throws a wrench in the works. I've detailed my solution below. Hopefully it'll help someone else from beating their head against a wall trying to figure it out.

1) Search for Device Manager in Start Menu
2) Expand the Monitors section
3) Look for "PnP-Monitor (Standard)"...
Hi,

Please do try to uninstall/reinstall the Pnp Monitor from Device Manager.
- Uninstall it then reboot your laptop and it would install automatically.
- If that doesn't do the trick please do uninstall the graphics card driver from Device Manager and in Programs and Feature anything related to NVIDIA.
- Download and install the latest graphics card driver that can be found from NVIDIA support site. Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.

Please do try some other troubleshooting steps from this thread if mine didn't work.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2742627/change-brightness-windows.html

Pikabanga

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the things you suggested as well as the troubleshooting steps in the thread you linked. Still the same problem :(

Abigail1234

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
Man so bad. I'm in the same situation as you're now. I did not download any such things as you did. Basically I was watching video from youtube like most of time, and it just out of nowhere turned to lowest brightness, either plugged in or not.
Somebody knows please help :(

sundevildon

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
I had this problem on my Lenovo Z500 last night. Go to D:\drivers\IntelWirelessDisplay right click and Restore Previous Versions. The new driver that Windows installs causes conflict with the display card. I searched the internet last night and found the solution there. I'm not that smart when it comes to systems! After the previous driver was restored, I've had not issues since. Don

redwings3030

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
I had experienced this issue right after upgrading to Win 10 on my HP EliteBook 8570p and figured out the solution. Unfortunately, possibly due to a Win 10 update, the issue reappeared and I couldn't remember how I'd solved it so I had to start digging around again for a solution. This post pointed me in the right direction and with a little more troubleshooting, I discovered that if you are running TeamViewer, it installs a "PnP-Monitor (Standard)" driver which throws a wrench in the works. I've detailed my solution below. Hopefully it'll help someone else from beating their head against a wall trying to figure it out.

1) Search for Device Manager in Start Menu
2) Expand the Monitors section
3) Look for "PnP-Monitor (Standard)", right-click and select "Update Driver Software..."
4) Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
5) Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
6) Select Generic PnP Monitor and click "Next" and this should resolve the issue

Solution

kaizer21

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Hi, I just want to share that I have fixed the same problem you guys are trying to solve. I have the same problem with my Lenovo Thinkpad T400, here is the solution I came up with,

Solution: Go to bios setting under the display then change the Display to Discrete and leave all other settings to its default.
I think this will only work for those who have Switchable Graphics like my Laptop.

I hope it will help you guys

pisquared

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
I have a samsung NP470 and the brightness control become unresponsive (permanently low) after windows 10 upgrade.
Tried the above without success until I updated the DISPLAY ADAPTER (intel hd graphics 4000) in DEVICE MANAGER.
I guess that's the video card like NVIDIA, so makes sense.

beckerben

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
redwings3030 solution worked for me, changing the display driver in the device manager to the generic one fixed it on my yoga 2 pro after the windows 10 upgrade, now my brightness keys work again, thanks!!

Greg2000

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
If previous solutions didn't help you, try this:

1, Go to Device Manager
2. Pick graphics cards, intel HD 4000 (or other intel), right click, update driver.
3. Browse my computer...
4. Pick from the list...
5. Choose "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".
6. Update.

The names/labels which I described may vary a bit, cause they're my rough translations from polish, except for the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", which is the original name.

Status
Not open for further replies.