Can't copy to/from any external hard drive or any other storage

NellyD

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
My laptop running Windows 7 64bit forced the Windows 10 update which I then reverted back to 7 as I preferred it. Any time I connect an external drive of any type and try to copy files to or from these drives I get the message that Windows is not responding and then Windows is restarting. I have tried in all USB ports and all the drives work fine on other computers with no issues so I am quite certain the external drives are not a problem. The drives all show up in My Computer and I am able to open them and see all the files the problem only occurs when I try to drag and drop or copy and paste any kind or size of files to or from the external drives. The laptop seemingly otherwise has no other issues. Please can someone help with this as my wife is not happy with the amount of hair I have lost over this problem!!!!!!!!!

Solution
Hi there NellyD,

Most probably, something went wrong with the updates.
It looks like you will need to perform a clean OS installation. Just back up the data stored on the drive before that. There are many tutorials on the topic.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there NellyD,

Most probably, something went wrong with the updates.
It looks like you will need to perform a clean OS installation. Just back up the data stored on the drive before that. There are many tutorials on the topic.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution