can't get into bios

ohohhhh

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Just formatted my Toshiba Satellite u940's hdd to use in my pc when i transferred it back to my laptop to re-install Windows, i got the error message "insert boot media and reboot"...i can't seem to get into bios pressing f keys, ZERO or Ctrl+Alt+Del or even plugging in a bootable usb...How do i get into the bios please? thanks!

Solution
Hey there again, @ohohhhh!

Did you manage to get into BIOS? If you did, there is a reset option in the interface menu. I'd advise you to try resetting the mobo from there, instead of tampering with it physically. However, if the CMOS battery cannot be reseated, you should probably consider turning to a professional PC repair store nearby and let the guys perform full diagnostics on the laptop. This will easily help you determine what is the source of the issue. I'm also afraid that the damage could be in the motherboard itself. :(

Let me know if you have more questions.
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @ohohhhh!

I'd strongly recommend you check this tutorial for different ways to enter BIOS on your laptop. One of these should work and when you get into the interface, make sure you have configured the BIOS priority properly. It might also help if you reset BIOS through the settings. However, keep in mind that afterwards you will need to re-configure all the manual changes in the BIOS again. Make sure that both the Installation media and the HDD itself are listed in the storage devices.

Hope this works. :) Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

ohohhhh

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Hi SuperSoph_WD, unfortunately none of those options and it seems my CMOS battery is soldered on so can't seem to remove to reset the BIOS too??

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there again, @ohohhhh!

Did you manage to get into BIOS? If you did, there is a reset option in the interface menu. I'd advise you to try resetting the mobo from there, instead of tampering with it physically. However, if the CMOS battery cannot be reseated, you should probably consider turning to a professional PC repair store nearby and let the guys perform full diagnostics on the laptop. This will easily help you determine what is the source of the issue. I'm also afraid that the damage could be in the motherboard itself. :(

Let me know if you have more questions.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution