Cant Install Antivirus

Austin03

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
I think a virus is stopping me from installing any antivirus program on my girlfriends laptop, if someone could help me it would be very much appreciated.

Solution
Open a command prompt, type: sfc /scannow
Let that finish, then go to bleepingcomputer.com and download TDSSkiller, adwcleaner, combfix, and windows repair from tweaking.com
Run those in the order I listed.

***Windows Repair - Go to start repairs, select everything (for simplicity) unless you have Windows 7 (then uncheck the Windows 8 fixes) and hit start.

Then see if you can install any AV software or get malwarebytes to run.

Austin03

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

It's windows 7 home premium, service pack 1, 64 bit. I have tried Microsoft security essentials, and AVG. When it gets to the install and error happens every time. I got malwarebytes to install but and error happens every time I try to open it. It also says bad image every time any program or process starts. ERROR CODE: 0x8004FF82 for MSE.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Open a command prompt, type: sfc /scannow
Let that finish, then go to bleepingcomputer.com and download TDSSkiller, adwcleaner, combfix, and windows repair from tweaking.com
Run those in the order I listed.

***Windows Repair - Go to start repairs, select everything (for simplicity) unless you have Windows 7 (then uncheck the Windows 8 fixes) and hit start.

Then see if you can install any AV software or get malwarebytes to run.

Solution

Austin03

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

Thank you so much these programs got rid of the bad image and got the AV to install.