Can't install laptop hard drive

wolffex

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
I have an extra slot in my laptop for a hard drive. However when I try to install it, there is a little metal piece that prevents me from shutting the lid on my laptop. I tried using an SSD and also a laptop HDD, they both fit in the slot but because of that metal piece the hard drive sticks up a little and therefore I can't shut the lid.

How can I solve this issue?

Would buying this hard drive solve the issue?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178339&AID=10657534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-%zn

I have posted the image below, you can see that little orange square thing on the top left of the hard drive slot.
DSC_0292.jpg

Solution
Even if that is a SATA port, it's not made to just stick a drive inside. First, that heatsink is in the way (if that's what it is, looks like one), second there is no protection between the bottom of the hard drive and the system board. Were you going to just have the drive sit there on top of the motherboard as it is? You were probably lucky that you could not close the cover or your post could have been "I installed a new hard drive and my laptop made a poof sound with smoke and won't boot anymore".

Check your laptop service manual about installing a second hard drive and how to do it.

Shaun o

Distinguished
Its definitely a Sata port?

Have you checked on the brand makers website for the model of laptop you have.

The drives may not fit, because the port is actually for a Msata solid state drive.
Click on the link bellow this is a half sized card.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-850-evo-series-msata-500gb-sata-6gbps-solid-state-drive-mz-m5e500bw-hd-200-sa.html

Double check the specs of your laptop it will tell you what the interface is used with.
Its probably why a 2.5" hard drive or SSD drive does not fit in the space.

wolffex

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

I did, it is a SATA port. My SSD will plug in to the slot, everything is fine it is just I can't shut the back cover of the laptop (where the 3 screws go in) because that orange square chip makes the hard drive pop up a few cm. I can break or remove that orange chip and it will fit in perfect and can put the cover. I just don't know if that orange chip is important

Even if that is a SATA port, it's not made to just stick a drive inside. First, that heatsink is in the way (if that's what it is, looks like one), second there is no protection between the bottom of the hard drive and the system board. Were you going to just have the drive sit there on top of the motherboard as it is? You were probably lucky that you could not close the cover or your post could have been "I installed a new hard drive and my laptop made a poof sound with smoke and won't boot anymore".

Check your laptop service manual about installing a second hard drive and how to do it.

Solution