Can't open files , permissions have changed on a Bit locker drive

Teddytrout

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I have had a portable drive that I encrypted with Bit Locker several years ago. Many of my files can't be open as the Permissions have changed. Any help here would be great. I was wondering if I can un-encrypt this portable drive.

Solution
Probably there is no way to change the permissions "back": i.e., to some default setting (i.e., no permissions required) without first having the necessary permissions.

Such a feature would make encryption pointless.

You can at least hold on to the drive. Maybe find a note to yourself later on or have an "Eureka" moment and remember the permissions.

Most people have some standard "pattern" for things like passwords, keywords, hints, etc. Keep thinking.....

Teddytrout

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

I don't quite know how they changed. I think i remember that the drive had errors appear and it fixed the errors. I can see all the directories and files but won;t open any of them. 75%n of the files won't open

Failed/failing drive where the encrypted data has been corrupted is probably not salvageable. Plus some drive software doing repairs over top of that most likely made the situation all the worse.

Maybe one of those recovery companies could do some salvage but they would have no way to know and to restore the encryption to its "proper state" for unencryption.

Even if you have the permissions etc.. And it all would be expensive I think.

Teddytrout

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Yes I full agree with you. I guess I was asking "How do you change the permissions back.I have no idea what they even were.

Probably there is no way to change the permissions "back": i.e., to some default setting (i.e., no permissions required) without first having the necessary permissions.

Such a feature would make encryption pointless.

You can at least hold on to the drive. Maybe find a note to yourself later on or have an "Eureka" moment and remember the permissions.

Most people have some standard "pattern" for things like passwords, keywords, hints, etc. Keep thinking.....

Solution