Cant remove avast and it is in self protect mode

sarah1234

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
WOW I am having a hard time getting rid of Avast.
So far I have tried to uninstall the regular way, but to no avail. Then I tried http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and it said that Avast is in Self Protect mode so it won't let me run the program. I went into Avast and unchecked the box that says self protect mode but it won't save the change.
I even bought and paid for Perfect Uninstaller, ran it, and Avast is still up and running on my laptop. So very frustrated.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Also try revo uninstaller. It is free, but what it will do is detect 32 bit programs on your system, let it load the list, find avast, tell it to uninstall, a moderate or advanced uninstall should do. It will create a restore point, then try to run avast's uninstaller. When it fails, click next anyway, and revo should proceed to hunt down every registry entry and file associated with Avast and allow you delete them.

Also, you can getting a new copy of the Avast installer and installing over the old copy, which may allow it to unlock itself.

toyftw

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Hi - you might try downloading Advanced Sytem Care (it's free), in their toolbox section they IObit uninstaller which has a "forced uninstall" tab.