Cant send files to USB Flash drive

Benson Joseph

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
when i plug in my USB to the computer, sometimes the computer freezes. But sometimes, it shows up in My Computer, but i am not able to transfer/send any files from my computer Hard Disk to Flash Drive. It would be great if someone could help me fix this issue.

harryfishrules

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015

One thing you could try is to format the drive (Right Click on the drive in My Computer/My PC and then select Format. Select 'Restore Device Defaults' and click 'Format') this will remove all data from the USB drive but should solve an issue with the drive's formatting.

Benson Joseph

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Benson Joseph

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
@Harryfishrules, thanks for ur suggestion. I tried to format the drive a couple of times. The computer freezes while formatting and just as I unplug the drive, the computer becomes normal. The flash drive will be formatted though. Even then, I'm not able to send any files. Th sending starts and reaches till 10% and then gets stuck

harryfishrules

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015

Does it only happen with one USB drive?

Benson Joseph

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Benson Joseph

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
Nope, I tried 2 different USB's. Both has the same problem. Just as I try to send a file from my computer hard drive to the flash drive, the flash drive icon in the My Computer changes. Only the name of the flash drive will be shown. The size with the bar will be gone.

harryfishrules

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015

This could be a windows installation issue. What version of Windows are you using?

Benson Joseph

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

harryfishrules

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015

Right, okay. Could you try following these steps for me:

1. Press "Windows + R" at the same time
2. Enter "control wuaucpl.cpl" (without speech marks) followed by enter
3. Select "Scan for Updates"
4. Install all updates including optional ones

5. Restart your PC into the normal desktop

6. Restart your PC into Safe Mode

7. Press "Windows + X" at the same time
8. Select “Command Prompt (Admin)
11. Enter "sfc /scannow" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter
12. Let the scan complete

Let me know how this goes.

Benson Joseph

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Please stop quoting text without a reply, it just makes the thread longer and tougher to read for no reason. When you select Reply you can actually type in more text there bellow or above the quotations.

Test the flash drives in another computer. If they work fine there, you could have an issue with your USB ports if a clean Windows setup did not help. Maybe try a BIOS and chipset driver update if there is one available.