Can't transfer pictures with Motorola Phone Tools

scottw182

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I've got an old Motorola phone (W755) that I want to be able to just plug into my computer via USB and get pictures off of it and transfer ringtones to it. From what I've read, I have to use Motorola Phone Tools to do this. I got it installed and updated to the latest version, but I see absolutely no way within the software to do what I need to do. There's a phonebook transfer feature, contact and calendar synchronization, and that's about it. I even searched through the help menus of the software and there's a whole section devoted to how to do exactly what I'm trying to do, but the directions it gives aren't applicable at all. It tells me to do things that don't even exist in the software ("Under My Computer view, select from the drop-down menu the directory where you want the file to be saved. From Mobile phone view, select the file to be transferred."). There's no My Computer View and no From Mobile View. Anybody have any experience with the software and know what I'm missing?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
First, you need to make sure your phone is recognized when connected to the PC. Then, there should be a panel split in half, like a Windows explorer window. The left side should be the My Computer view, the right side should be the Mobile phone view.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I have a Motorola V551 and have a few pics I would like to get off of it too.
I have Motorola tools v4 & 5 - but i guess i am going to have to install a x32 XP system to get the pics. I dunno man. did you ever find a solution?

I bought a USB cable but it is a no go on my Win 7 x64 machine. I am going to try the alternative which is a bluetooth dongle and connect the phone that way. Supposedly this works. Another $15 to give it a shot i guess.

scottw182

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

The solution was to get a newer phone, lol. Sorry I don't have better news for you, but I never could figure it out. I jumped through a bunch of hoops and tried several obscure/complicated things but couldn't get anything to work.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hey Scott, thanks for replying man. yeah I MUST get one of those pictures from that phone. I have carried that phone around for 6 years looking for a cable to retrieve just one single picture from it. It is VERY important to me. When I find a way, I will write back here leaving a message of hope or doom for all others also looking for a solution.
cheers.

Just got one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833340012
AZiO make JUNK keyboards, but the review count for positive works for me. We'll see what happens.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
OKAY... I have had success, but not as expected. let me explain for all those that may come across this thread wondering how to get their contacts or pictures from Motorola V551 or Motorola V557.

Keep in mind, I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
I got the Bluetooth but it did NO good for me. No matter WHAT I did it would ONLY connect to the Modem of the phone.

I had downloaded some old torrents of "Motorola Phone Tools 5.0.5" and "Motorola Mobile Phone Tools Deluxe 4 + USB Driver" to which these methods didn't work either with USB cable or Bluetooth.

DESPERATE, I started looking into creating a partition to install Windows XP to try that route when I (lo and behold) found something called "Windows XP Mode"
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

So considering i REALLY didn't want to do all that partition work, I thought I would give it a try (...to start [I thought]).
I installed Moto Tools 4 with the USB driver and it didn't work. I tried Bluetooth (BT) and it didn't work.

CRAP!!!

(I WILL defeat this dang phone I thought)

So I uninstalled 4 and installed Moto Tools (MT) 5.0.5 and again nothing via USB or BT.

I noticed that my USB devices weren't responding via virtual Windows XP. So I hit Google. "HUH." I thought, there is a menu at the top of XP Mode that has a button called USB!!! So I attached the USB BT device and NOW it took and installed on XP Mode.

"CRAP!" I thought, "Lemme try the USB to phone Cable now!!!"
WOO HOO... Windows began to search for a driver for the... CRAP! ...modem. AGAIN!
It searched. And it searched... to the point I had to ctrl-alt-del the proggy to stop it from searching.

Well, I thought, why not start from the begining, Use the LATEST (for the time WAY back then) MT 5.0.5 with the USB cable.

IT WORKED!!! IT WORKED!!! IT WORKED!!! IT WORKED!!!

THERE were my pictures, my contacts... EVERYTHING MAN!!! EVERYTHING!!!

I have carried this phone for over 6 years JUST TO GET THIS ONE PICTURE FROM IT!!! (If you REALLY must know, it's a UFO)

But I have it, and now I can take a sledge hammer to this phone once and for all.

BTW, The phone I have is a Motorola V557 not V551 as I first thought.

THAT's my story, and I am sticking to it.

PEACE!!!

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am trying my best to make my comment informative, knowledgeable, and precise.

You know HOW MANY FREAKING TIMES I read what you just copied from the net and pasted here?

Don't do that without actual investigation or personal relationships with said issues/problems. That IS the problem with the net when there is nothing but flooded copy and pasted info when trying to find a REAL solution.

Take a look at my HARD work and MY solution (comment above this one). Mine comes from EXPERIENCE and NOT just some hap-hazard copy and paste fiasco to maybe gain forum points.

If I were a MOD/ADMIN I would remove your comment, ONLY because I have seen that SAME (verbatim) comment you left, copied and pasted on at LEAST 15 different sites (INCLUDING Tom's Hardware).

All I am saying is, yes it can be helpful for some whom don't know that no detection is a problem, but this isn't "really" any solution at all. It is just a symptom of the beginning of a bigger issue - which in MOST readers that are seeking this thread/topic, are running a windows version later than Windows XP. Windows XP users aren't looking for this topic. They HAVE no issues.

Your help is honored and appreciated, but try to help people with issues that you already have experience in. THAT is where we ALL learn. From each others experience and thus gained knowledge. There are plenty of topics on this board to seek out.

PEACE!!!

beta11

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013