Solved! Can't turn on laptop after update shutdown

ieatdog

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
My laptop was eating up the bandwidth and Black Ops was lagging for my brother, so I turned off my laptop and was happening to be updating Windows when my brother was being impatient and shuts it down when it clearly states not to turn it off. The fans spin and everything is on but the manufacturers' logos won't show up and Windows won't boot. Is there any way to solve this?

Solution
If you have the OS CD/DVD, you can insert it, reboot from CDDrive (select that drive as first boot device in BIOS), then launch Win installation. When it asks if you want to repair an existing installation, select it and let it repair. You will keep your programs and data, will lose newer drivers and updates, these will have to be reinstalled after that. It involves some work, but at least you will be able to keep your programs instead of losing them (as with a clean install - unless, of course, you decide it's better to do a clean install and restore the laptop to it's factory settings).
That's why I don't let family around my PC...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If you have the OS CD/DVD, you can insert it, reboot from CDDrive (select that drive as first boot device in BIOS), then launch Win installation. When it asks if you want to repair an existing installation, select it and let it repair. You will keep your programs and data, will lose newer drivers and updates, these will have to be reinstalled after that. It involves some work, but at least you will be able to keep your programs instead of losing them (as with a clean install - unless, of course, you decide it's better to do a clean install and restore the laptop to it's factory settings).
That's why I don't let family around my PC...

Solution