Carmack: 3DS, NGP: Last Dedicated Handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdroland

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I've got an Android HTC Desire with a bluetooth wii controller connected and I couldnt be happier, just waiting on the developers now....

G

phones wont kill dedicated consoles until they sort out the lack of tactile controls.

varkias

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Has John Carmack ever played one of his own games on a phone of ANY kind? The technological gap has nothing to do with it. Like jldevoy says, it's all in the controls.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
For now it is iPhone games. You can sneak it into the crapper at work. You can play while standing in line... While my PSP sits at home. After all, I am an adult, I can't be caught playing games.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Guys, your lack of vision is absurdly annoying...

Carmack is given Nintendo and (maybe) Sony the big heads up on the changing tide (not that they don't know already, but...) so they can go were the money will be and still be alive. If Nintendo and Sony keep the same "disc" model system, they might suffer like Blockbuster did.

And also I find his argument some-what solid and he's totally right IMO; if you take notice over the Xperia Play, Sony played a great card right there. "Gaming on the go" is what smartphones are aiming at, just like when people said "no way a smartphone is gonna replace my Kodak"; well, it's not quite like that yet, but the Nokia N8 could replace any mid-priced camera easily.

And it's not just games, wait till we get decent "office productivity" in Android and you'll get a fully functional PC (netbooks, bye bye). It's just a time and timing thing of when it will happen, that's why Intel is so desperate to enter the market.

Cheers!

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
You actually think your smart phone will replace a normal camera? Guess you never do anything but facebook with pictures. The optics in a phone will never match what a camera can do because of space restrictions. Just like the controls of a touch screen smart phone will never match those of the gameboy or PSP.

Also, I've played those games from gameloft on my 4th gen Ipod Touch. SOOOO disappointing compared to a PSP or DS game. Great compared to smart phone games but crap compared to dedicated game machines. If that is where all mobile gaming is headed then we are in for sad times away from our PCs and TVs in the gaming world

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Carmack is hedging his bets that phones will not be good, but "good enough for the masses". I hate when people talk like this because quality is the first thing they compromise on. I honestly don't put a lot of faith in Carmack's comments. I mean, what the hell did he do lately that was any good?!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I always appreciate it when gaming legends from the PC sector comment on the console sector, as if their experience applies there.

A smartphone can take a picture, but it will never take a picture like a DSLR. The average person doesn't need high quality pictures, so their phone will do.

A smartphone can play a movie, but it will never look as good as it does on your home TV. You aren't bringing your TV to work, so the phone will do.

A smartphone can handle text, but on that keyboard you won't be writing the next great American novel. For taking a quick note, the phone will do.

A smartphone can display a game, but how many manufacturers are going to be willing to add dedicated buttons. For a quick game on your smoke break, it will do.

Smartphones are not magical devices that do everything well, they're just sort of there. For people with low standards, they'll do for gaming, but real games will never adapt to a device with such limited control options until technology hits a point where complicated controls can be managed without a tactile input. Cell phones have had games for a long time, and they've always been short diversions. I don't really think the industry's changed that much. Sure, the games look better than "snake" but they really serve the same purpose as old cell games did, a quick diversion. Handheld consoles already lost certain demographics like the 10 minute players and the "too cool to be seen playing that" crowd years ago.

G

Wow, just wow! I thought gamers were supposed to be tech savvy.
How long have smart phones and i-pods and smartphones been viable gaming machines? Not long but man they've ascended fast! What about cell-phone cameras? Exactly the same - crappy VGA a few years ago and now really acceptable multi-mp images. What does this highlight? It tells us how fast this area of the tech industry is growing. Very FAST. The comments that a phone will never = a DSLR/PSP/DS/Word Processor are just plain deluded. Anyone who's played a game like Galaxy on Fire 2 on i-pod or Android will know that Sony and Nintendo should be scared. And the fact that you can get great gaming experiences for under $10. Well I know what my purchase of choice will be and I have NO doubt I'll be getting a good gaming experience.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]campb292[/nom]Carmack = has been and who cares.[/citation]
Carmack is still a coding god, and continues to do amazing work.

Back to the subject at hand. One big reason that I would be reluctant to plop down $30+ on a single game for a phone is that the game may not follow me to my next phone. Like many, I tend to upgrade phones fairly often, and the phone I replace it with might not be the same platform and won't run the software (if there was even any way to easily and legally transfer it). So to me, the cheaper games are better, more like a rental in price.

In addition, I tend to get rid of older phones rather than keep them around, unlike my consoles (handheld and otherwise). So there's no dusting off the old phone to boot up an old game. Maybe if they start charging big bucks for big name games, I will have to start saving the old phones and making sure the batteries still work periodically, just in case I want to play them again!

Or else maybe I'll play it on my lappy via an emulator.

G

While the boom on smartphones are really surprising and the advancement of their hardware could soon matchup or surpass what we have on handheld consoles, I don't think they will ever replace the DS or the PSP system. Even for the upcoming Experia Play, Sony has to overhaul the design to include dual analog alongside the usual d-pad just to make sure gaming to that phone will attract gamers. Besides, gaming on smartphones are usually the short-mini-game types you play so you could drop your smoking habit, games you can grab and drop while youre on the bus or waiting for your professor after lunch. Its never going to get to the psp/ds level where people always scream for longer battery life cause they just cant get their hands of their game. Sure, casual gaming for the masses might click, and them spending $10 a game might work, but there will always be the hardcore gaming community wanting the best hardware on their handhelds, just as there will always be Mac lovers always wanting to spend more money for lesser hardware.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
na whont happen then pc shuld haw already been the only gaming systems. cus way back pc dident need to haw eny power to write simple letters but the consolse had power to play yet 99% of all comps today can play games but consoles still exist 95% of all phones can play games true but handheld consoles will also always exist

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
no.

kids play handhelds. they dont need phones and monthly bills. itouch would be a decent alternative, but nothing touches a dedicated handheld that has physical media that can transfer to the next iteration of the handheld... i would suggest they shorten the liftime of the product from 7 years to 5 though

G

I still don't understand why Sony can't put phone function on the NGP. Oh well maybe they will change their mind.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]StLucre[/nom]Wow, just wow! I thought gamers were supposed to be tech savvy. How long have smart phones and i-pods and smartphones been viable gaming machines? Not long but man they've ascended fast! What about cell-phone cameras? Exactly the same - crappy VGA a few years ago and now really acceptable multi-mp images. What does this highlight? It tells us how fast this area of the tech industry is growing. Very FAST. The comments that a phone will never = a DSLR/PSP/DS/Word Processor are just plain deluded. Anyone who's played a game like Galaxy on Fire 2 on i-pod or Android will know that Sony and Nintendo should be scared. And the fact that you can get great gaming experiences for under $10. Well I know what my purchase of choice will be and I have NO doubt I'll be getting a good gaming experience.[/citation]
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]You actually think your smart phone will replace a normal camera? Guess you never do anything but facebook with pictures. The optics in a phone will never match what a camera can do because of space restrictions. Just like the controls of a touch screen smart phone will never match those of the gameboy or PSP.Also, I've played those games from gameloft on my 4th gen Ipod Touch. SOOOO disappointing compared to a PSP or DS game. Great compared to smart phone games but crap compared to dedicated game machines. If that is where all mobile gaming is headed then we are in for sad times away from our PCs and TVs in the gaming world[/citation]
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Guys, your lack of vision is absurdly annoying...Carmack is given Nintendo and (maybe) Sony the big heads up on the changing tide (not that they don't know already, but...) so they can go were the money will be and still be alive. If Nintendo and Sony keep the same "disc" model system, they might suffer like Blockbuster did.And also I find his argument some-what solid and he's totally right IMO; if you take notice over the Xperia Play, Sony played a great card right there. "Gaming on the go" is what smartphones are aiming at, just like when people said "no way a smartphone is gonna replace my Kodak"; well, it's not quite like that yet, but the Nokia N8 could replace any mid-priced camera easily.And it's not just games, wait till we get decent "office productivity" in Android and you'll get a fully functional PC (netbooks, bye bye). It's just a time and timing thing of when it will happen, that's why Intel is so desperate to enter the market.Cheers![/citation]

ok lets start off.

i will never take pictures or video with a smartphone. they are good if thats all you have, but i would rather carry around a dedicated camera. i have no doubt that in 5-10 years, a smartphone can rival even high end non dslrs but in the mean time, i take a real camera with me. even than i hate not using a real camcorder because the camera video usually sucks in comparison.

you want to see nintendo and sony have real competition? get android and iphone, to guarantee at least 10 years of backwards compatibility. get the iphone a shell that attaches and adds real buttons, and alalouge sticks, i have done the math and theoretical engineering (no degree, just trying to make things fit and work in space given), based on mini ps2 controllers, a ps3 controller and the psp1000 demintions. the iphone could become a ligitamate gaming platform than. the android too.

blockbuster failed, because of the archaic thought, when faced with a real competition. the red box lets you rent anything for 2$ a day, last block buster movie i rented cost 5$ for over night, with a 5$ late fee, on top of close to 10$ for a 5 day game rental. not to mention the other competition like gamefly or netflix. block buster was 30 miles away, im 40 feet from a mailbox.

and disc... you may not know this but gamers tend to like discs. we know we own the game and at no time will we ever not own it. i use steam because of drm, steam is better than most... but more likely than not if i like a game i but it off amazon and pirate it for the drm free version.

phones have one thing on consoles that cant be denied. they upgrade faster. in 2 years psp2 will be the norm, in 4 years, it will be surpassed, and in 7 years psp2 will be a joke, but what will i prefer to game on.... psp2.

Status
Not open for further replies.