Carmack: 3DS, NGP: Last Dedicated Handhelds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
One day they'll have a tablet running Windows 8 that can play Crysis for 5 minutes on battery! ;-) Onlive wants you to play games via the Internet on your HDTV, & one day maybe in 3D! But how fast is your Internet? It would be nice if you could connect that tablet via ethernet or wireless to your gaming PC & play Crysis on your tablet with a USB gaming keyboard & mouse attached to it. Does anybody remember the arcade? It wasn't that far away, but you had to walk.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Carmack, once again, misses his mark. He's somtimes right, sometimes wrong. He may have been a genius of coding and may still be quite a respectable engineer, (IMO, he's mostly lost his edge over time, though for me the term "engineer" is not used lightly) but he's still human, and just as fallible as any other genius.

A few here (kinggraves in particular) already pointed it out rather well: smart-phones won't KILL anything: laptops haven't killed the desktop, unlike what it was crowed about since the 90s. Home computers (like the MSX, C64, Amiga, and ST) didn't kill either consoles or PCs, unlike what was claimed in the 80s. Both cases we had the best and the brightest tech minds acting as the doomsayers. In both cases, they were wrong: laptops turned out to fit their own role with only some overlap with PCs, and home computers wound up being squeezed out entirely by more-competitive consoles from below, and cheaper PCs from above.

The stalwarts have always remained, and more or less always will. Sure, you can play a game on a smartphone, but it WON'T compare: people are saying about the "improvement" on them because guess what? We're comparing them to the DS and PSP, a couple of devices that are positively ancient by now. A quick look at previews on either the 3DS or NGP show they EASILY blow away what we see on even an iPhone 4, the HTC Ace, or whatever is the current most-coveted Android phone. (in fact, both look like they can rival the 360 and PS3, barring the cut in resolution, a testament to advancement)

Further, the form-factor, input/output, and cost will ALWAYS form a barrier here: there's no money in making a 3D screen on a phone, nor in putting an analog nub on it. A non-tactile touchscreen with multitouch is the highest they'd bother with, since that's what'd sell a $300-600 smartphone. Similar to 3D screens: while Nintendo (or Sony, if they so chose) have the weight and uniformity in platform to make a 3D-based handheld, smartphones are too fragmented among hundreds of comparable models to ever have any hope there, especially when trade-offs are required.

And lastly, a smartphone has to be nice, tiny, and compact, as, being a phone first, it needs to remain practical as the device you always carry with you, even if it means giving up potential replacements for things you don't always carry with you. That sums it all up: it's a phone first, and just because it can do something, doesn't mean it's always a good idea. Having the best of all worlds is not possible in a device: that's why we still have electronics engineers in this day and age, to develop the best possible options and trade-offs.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Most on here seem to think they somehow represent the masses.

If you don't think that cellphone cameras have had a massive impact on camera sales, you're living in a hole. You may think you need a SLR camera. But go out to club on Friday night(I know that would require leaving your basement) and you'll see tons of people taking photos with their phones. Facebook photos are what the masses use photos for. Relatively few people care what an fstop is.

The same thing with gaming consoles. I'd be the first to defend the mouse + keyboard as the definitive way to play an FPS. However, the masses don't really care, the gamepad works just fine for them.

If a smartphone can deliver a "good enough" experience, then the "connoisseurs" don't matter.

I can listen to my indie rock and lament the decline of modern music, but that won't stop Justin Beiber from selling a millions of records.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
How about devolop some sort of input port on the phone, and have input devices plug into it for gaming and word processing? Like basically, the phone is the screen and hardware, then there is a clamshell case or something that has the joysticks and buttons on it (imagine being able to pop the screen out of a PSP and have it be a smartphone). Seems like a viable option. Then for word processing get a full keyboard if desired. Build a folding/rollup LED monitor and bye-bye netbook.

Just have the phone be a normal small phone, but have it dock cleanly into many sorts of devices, you could even make a laptop style case where the phone is the touchpad once docked. I need to call a patent office. lol

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Phate[/nom]I'd be the first to defend the mouse + keyboard as the definitive way to play an FPS. However, the masses don't really care, the gamepad works just fine for them.[/citation]
Your snide and un-called for ad hominem about basement-dwellers aside, I'd point out that the "masses" also include PC gamers. May I remind you that FPSes on the PC still routinely ALSO make the multi-million sale numbers that their console brethren do? And even PC-exclusives still sell well, such as 3 million copies for Crysis. And even if we want to focus on consoles, I'd likewise remind you that the Wii ammounts for just under half (46.4%) of the 7th-generation console market, which further dilutes the idea of the classical "two stick controller" being the exclusive input for "the masses."

Similarly, you again miss the point on cameras: camera phones have NOT negatively impacted the sales of DSLRs. A quick look on Google revealed that even in spite of recession and camera phones, The DSLR market is growing. Compacts (aka "point-and-shoots") have been slightly contracting, but it's not been a huge drop: some people may have dropped them for their phones, but hardly everyone.

So again, it works back into PRECISELY what I stated: these are different markets. They may have some apparent overlap, but that doesn't mean that one of them's going to wipe out the other. It's just like what happened before: laptops didn't kill the desktop, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.