Carmack: Gaming Hardware Reaching Limits

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
This thread is full of pure genious. Who would think I could find so many people smarter than Carmack in one thread. I can't wait to purchase the games being created or use a 3d engine designed by the extraordinary minds of the TH forums.

Carmack has been called crazy before and then... what do you know, he was right. He does not have to make great games in order to make a great engine or understand the hardware limitations.

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]There is also some intriguing technologies in development, experimental stage. Optical computer with optical processors. Much faster (1000? more? ), less power hungry. @thearmLinux performs in many places better of windows.[/citation]
I don't love the underdog. Intel is better than AMD at making chips. Does that mean I don't have AMD? No one of my older home servers was Athlon 64 based. It was a good chip, but then the Core series came out and well we know how that went. I'm no windows fanboi either I've run Linux on many older servers and desktops that cannot handle the newer windows, and I love it, but it will not replace windows in gaming or businesses, at least not for a while.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]The ONLY ONLY reason people don't like said companies is because they are not the underdog. EVERYONE loves the underdog. Well, I don't. I go with whoever performs and AMD can't perform... yet. I'm not even going to get started on Linux you fan boy. Dedication is a good thing, but not in this case.[/citation]

Your not making much sense. I suppose your own fan-boyism drove you to this? Let's get a few things out of the way: I like Windows. I have 2 Vista licencess, 5 XP licensees, and one each of old 98 and 95. I have a C2D, I've had 3 P4's but the rest, I must admit, are all AMD.
I'm only concerned about monopoly. It happens to be Intel and MS are the ones close to achieve it. And no, that they're not the "underdog", is not the only reason some people don't like those companies. If you really believe that, I have to assume it's your own fan-boyism talking again. But liking or not has nothing to do with either my message or this thread.
As for AMD performing: If you need bleading edge performance, the last 20%, well yes, then you have to go to Intel. But that doesn't mean AMD doesn't perform in the more conventional sense of value: Do you get what you pay for? - Yes! So when you say AMD doesn't perform? Isn't that the fan-boy again speaking? Sure sounds like it.

frost7500

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
the point I was trying to make (apparently poorly) is that since oblivion/crysis no developer is willing to make a engine to take advantage of future hardware (including id). the focus is on consoles first, then pc. i have a 9800 gx2. there is no reason to upgrade my pc anymore. none. i play everything at max or close to it. rage looks pretty but low, low poly. my rig will eat it up and beg for more. imo this is what carmack is getting at. he just does a poor job of it. curious 2 c what nvidia and ati will do with people pinching pennys and no games on the horizon that r gonna need new beefy hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.