CBS, Showtime Go Dark on Time Warner Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I hope the cable companies all destroy each-other with this kind of BS. They can't remove CBS local because people may try to get it via antenna, and then realize "Hey! The quality is better than what I got from cable!"

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The sad thing, is that cable company's aren't allowed to rebroadcast without paying the local tv provider. The TV provider makes more $'s the more people watch their commercials. They are now "dipping from all ends" of the revenue stream. The consumer directly, the cable provider, and the commercial sales. Honestly the FCC needs to step in here and allow anyone to rebroadcast "freely" broadcast tv without limitation if its in a not-for-profit or non altered condition. (You can't resell CBS, nor can you intercept, modify and re-transmit with your own commercials.) The price of cable is directly correlated to the cost of the channels available to you.

Daniel Revas

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Antares16M26 You do realize that CBS pays for production of some of those shows, right? They don't come from the Internet or Netflix Fairy.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
FYI, CBS is broadcast in HD for FREE over the airwaves. You dont need cable to watch it. So who gives a shyt anyway. If you dont have a tv that can get digital signals by now then time to get in your horse and buggy and get a new one or get a digital receiver/converter box.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
@nevilence:
I thought the only reason US public schools taught basic English was so they could read TV Guide.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
To TV or not to TV, this is not the big issue.

The big issue in my opinion is the bullying tactics employed by CBS. Because it is fair for a TW to decide to stop a paid collaboration/exchange of services with another company, punishing it's own users as CBS said, but it is not fair to block TW from accessing a free service. This is a tactic that deserves mafia awards. If I was in the US, I would demand this business practice to get a fine at the very least. Maybe criminal charges also, because to me it seems like a criminal behaviour.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
People are still stupid enough to pay for cable???

I've got everything covered with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and an antenna. Costs less over a year than many cable bills in a month.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
have been cable tv free for abotu a eyar now, don't really miss it, I have a leaf antenna and get hd channels just fine where I live between net flix hulu and amazon prime i get plenty of content as well. I would gladly pay a few bucks a month to have the channels I would actually watch, but not paying for a bunch that i do not.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
meanwhile piracy of all CBS owned content skyrocketed...especially from TW supplied internet feeds. Good job you two. Way to promote piracy.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Good, I hope Time Warner holds out. I don't give two shits about CBS and don't want to pay for it. There's maybe 10 channels I watch and that's not one of them. I can listen to packers on radio just fine.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
meanwhile piracy of all CBS owned content skyrocketed...especially from TW supplied internet feeds. Good job you two. Way to promote piracy.

Alathorne

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Well, I do not watch much TV, but I occasionally view some shows off CBS.com. I'm not in one of the markets that TW has switched off access so I can watch CBS off my TW cable TV. However, CBS blocked access to CBS.com. I can understand the fee dispute, and I can understand the TW refusal to carry CBS in the markets involved in the dispute, while the contract has expired. I find CBS's blocking of the internet site a repugnant, malicious and arrogant abuse of the customer base, since it has nothing to do with the issue. As usual, the customer suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.