funnybean

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello,
I have an hp presario V6500 notebook. The cd drive stopped working a few months ago. The disc player is working as I can hear it whirring on boot up and I can hear it spinning if I put a disc in. It's listed in BIOS but not in device manager. I'm on windows vista and have itunes. Not very techy minded so please can anyone help? I see that this is a common problem with HP notebooks.

G

Is it the type which comes in a removable caddy ? If so remove it and replace it carefully to ensure that it's connecting fully.

Also see if there's a newer set of drivers for your laptop at the HP site.

funnybean

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks fihart, I also did a scan with Driver Whiz scan which said CD/DVD is corrupt or missing (error codes 10,19,31,32,39,41) and invalid drive (error 1327). Does this shed any more light on the problem?
My bios version is F32 and it says bios release date is 3/3/2009.

Slim Shady

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
My friends comupter is having problems with the cd/dvd drive. It is not reading anything that she is putting into it. I tried all different types of disks and keep getting no response. When I went into the devices I noticed that there is no cd/dvd drive at all. When I tried downloading the drive nothing changed. What would be my next step?

funnybean

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Thanks for reply. I have used microsoft fixit previously and have just tried it again without success. How do I reinstall the CD writing software?

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
PJMelect is right. but i always have to delete the filters manually. never had fixit fix anything. just follow directions on the link he provided.