Celebrity Hacker Receives 10-Year Sentence For E-mail Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Just goes to show how stupid people really are when it comes to account security online. Similar thing went on at my highschool where we guessed the teachers' answers to "secret" questions in order to use their accounts to bypass the internet filter.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]If it were 50 average Joe's who got hacked he would have had perhaps one day in the police station and a slap on the shoulder....[/citation]
That's probably true, but keep in mind that no one is interested about the average Joe's, so the average Joe will be far less affected by this than a celebrity. However, 10 years is too much.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Too they don't care about the privacy of regular people. But once a celebrity get hacked, their no limit to the money and manpower expense. And yet it's hardly any difference than the tabloids have done for the last 50 years.

nate1492

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
'Hacking'? Are you kidding? This was just terrible password choices. Hacking? 60 years? The guy guessed their secret question answers as they chose guessable answers.

I can't believe someone would get 10 years for this, what a joke.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Just goes to show how stupid people really are when it comes to account security online. Similar thing went on at my highschool where we guessed the teachers' answers to "secret" questions in order to use their accounts to bypass the internet filter.[/citation]

Stupid is as stupid does. You don't even realize your criminal behaviour has changed your very mentality, and it will plague you all of your life. Don't do bad things crimials, you are only harming yourselves.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
10 years for 'hacking' a few dumb celebrities...
and the guy who was behind the financing of the fake AntiVirus software stealing millions... he gets 4 years.

Does that make sense ?

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]Zetto[/nom]Stupid is as stupid does. You don't even realize your criminal behaviour has changed your very mentality, and it will plague you all of your life. Don't do bad things crimials, you are only harming yourselves.[/citation]
Who the hell are you to judge me on my mentality based on a statement that says hardly anything about it. You my friend, are full of crap.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Zetto[/nom]Stupid is as stupid does. You don't even realize your criminal behaviour has changed your very mentality, and it will plague you all of your life. Don't do bad things crimials, you are only harming yourselves.[/citation]

Don't mention "stupid" and then type "crimials" ;) The guy was in high school and has now matured. His post was more of a joke than anything else so don't take it so seriously.

Zetto might have a history of choosing horrible passwords, thus the inappropriate comment...

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Zetto[/nom]Stupid is as stupid does. You don't even realize your criminal behaviour[/citation]

Pardon me, but would you happen to have any grey poupon? :)

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]10 years for 'hacking' a few dumb celebrities...and the guy who was behind the financing of the fake AntiVirus software stealing millions... he gets 4 years.Does that make sense ?[/citation]
And that other woman, Kristy Ross, who got a slap in the wrist for creating software that scammed millions of people and which likely led to the identity theft of tens of thousands. No jail time and fined a mere fraction of what she profited from scamming people.

The US justice system is a joke sometimes.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
To all saying this is to much and site other hackers that got a "slap on the wrist", well maybe this well set the bar for future activities, one can only hope. I, being and Network Admin and Security Annalist, am satisfied with the finding but wont be happy until all hacker activities have this kind of punishment handed out not just the ones dealing with stars or prominent people. I call for fair treatment, all hackers should face this judge :)

engrcat

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
And Jon Corzine walks the streets free after ripping off customers for 1.6 billion dollars. Different sets of laws for different classes of people.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
This guy got lucky with only 10 years since he was originally facing 121 years. This was not a single crime, but 26 separate crimes with over 50 victims, not all celebrities. Two of his non-celebrity victims he had stalked for over 10 years. He also stole confidential documents, including business contracts, scripts, letters, driver’s license information, and Social Security information.

Status
Not open for further replies.