Cell Phone Camera Quality

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm thinking of getting a new cell phone probably in early 2011, maybe even late 2010 when my 2-year contract is up. I'm looking at the DROID X and DROID 2, neither of which are out yet. I really am in love w/ the idea of an all-in-one device so I'm not interested in getting a separate camera to record video. I know cell phones in general have a history of not having very good recording quality in comparison to cameras (or camcorders I guess you call them) because of the software and hardware. I'm wondering how true this still is today. Basically the kind of video I'm looking to get is from some sort of 'live show' like a concert or someone singing karaoke in a bar.

Can someone with a newer phone (i.e. "Incredible" or iPhone 4 or something else released in 2010) comment as to how good their recording quality is and exactly how good are the video editing tools on the newer phones or what if (if anything) can be done, with what applications to enhance videos taken from a phone? What about the newer phones with 720p capabilities?

Well camera's in smartphones have progressed a lot in terms of quality(compared to last years).
iPhone 4 has a decent 5MP camera with 720p video recording.Nokia N8 has a 12MP camera with 720p video,Droid X also has 8MP camera with HD video too,(there are some more too)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

From what I understand, in terms of quality, an 8 MP camera phone isn't as good as an 8 MP digital recorder, right?