Cell Phone Jammer Cleverly Disguised as Painting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ms1191

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]flaminggerbil[/nom]I wonder what the laws on that are like in the UK..[/citation]

Illegal in the UK too.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The place that needed the most is the fast food joints and drive-thru. Really, really tired of people yapping while deciding what to order.

goldeknob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]I need one for my girlfriend. The damn phone is glued to her hands.[/citation]

yes they do, and they aren't to expensive either. http://shoponspot.com/personal-cell-phone-signal-blocker-device/

heh if they are illegal in the states.. better keep this baby a secret :p

goldeknob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]edwilson[/nom]Do they make a portable version I can take to the movies?[/citation]

oops I meant to quote this person.

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
big mistake.. i wouldnt use one, if you happen to disrupt or interfere with emergency communications thats a felony.

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Power options are from an AC wall socket (100-240V) or a DC source (45-55Hz).

I thought tom's was supposed to be keen on hardware vocabulary...

but yeah the FCC will poo on your face if they catch you with one of these.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Do it and put one in every school, if there is an emergency the parents/guardians should be calling the school as they still need permission to leave campus.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
If you want to eliminate cell phone use legally in certain instances: movie theaters, doctors offices etc then the suggestion of using a faraday cage someone else mentioned is legal and also will not interfere with communications outside of the building/area you are isolating. I've even seen wall coatings...paint if you will, with small metalic particles embedded in it that acts as a faraday cage blocking all RF based communications within the area it is used. Active jammers are not only illegal but just imagine police or EMS having to deal with the "dead spots" created in a significant radius around these devices.
All that aside, I can't help but smile at some of the ideas brought up for this device. Putting one in your car so you have a bubble of dead air space around you would be hilarious (especially since you'd have the remote to turn it off when needed). If you really want to take care of the handful of morons who insist on using their cell phone at the most inappropriate times try a targetted jammer or handheld one like this:

http://www.autothing.com/funthings/Tech%20Reviews/Cell%20Phone%20Jammer%20Review.htm

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]Do it and put one in every school, if there is an emergency the parents/guardians should be calling the school as they still need permission to leave campus.[/citation]

How would the parents even know there was an emergency at the school? Personally I am much more comfortable knowing my son can reach me if there is ever an emergency at school or anywhere else than rely on a teacher or other administrator to track me down.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]How would the parents even know there was an emergency at the school? Personally I am much more comfortable knowing my son can reach me if there is ever an emergency at school or anywhere else than rely on a teacher or other administrator to track me down.[/citation]

Every classroom now a days is fitted with an emergency button. And the office can also take care of emergency situations, thats why you fill out an emergency contact card before each year. And what if you student becomes unconscious, how would they then make the emergency call?

Students claim they have their cell phones for incoming emergency but that's not what they use them for. they abuse the use of cell phones for texting students in other classes about useless drama and such. even if they do receive an emergency what are they gonna do? take the bus there? walk the 5 miles back home? Just like teachers shouldn't be texting and calling during class time the same should go for students. everyone that needed to contact me for an emergency knows to call the school and not my cellphone.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I'm not a fan of blocking cell coverage in theaters. I would prefer that the theaters be a lot more strict about it. If your phone rings, you're texting, or actually talking on the phone, you should be kicked out. If your phone vibrates and you leave the theater to accept the call and then come back in, that should be fine (once or twice).

Imagine how pissed you would be if you're at a 3 hour movie and a loved has a horrible accident and people try calling you 10 minutes into the movie. 3 hours later you get the message and by the time you get to the hospital, they're dead. Or, you're out to the movies and the babysitter calls 'cause your kid ate some peanuts and the babysitter doesn't know where you keep the epi-pen so the kid has to take a trip to the hospital so his throat doesn't close up and now you've got a huge bill to pay 'cause the insurance has a huge deductible on ambulance rides.

People need to be responsible with their technology, we shouldn't have to block it. Remember those stupid digital watches that beeped every hour or had some alarm that would go off? We didn't need to ban or block those, people eventually learned how to use them properly.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]edwilson[/nom]Do they make a portable version I can take to the movies?[/citation]

Wow, if you can cram all that tech into cell phone sized device, I think I would buy it just for that. Brilliant. Nothing worse than seeing a glowing blue/white light pop up every other minute.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I rather a troll following me around that kicks you in the shin and then steals your phone, and then goes "WACHAAAAAA!!!"

camaro92rs

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
just wish they wouldn't plaster this all over the news,now i will have to stop ordering from them,good old fbi eyes will now be pointed in there direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.