Cell Phones Have Become The Modern Tamagotchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
How's this true when most of the means people entertain themselves on a smartphone involve social media that connects with other people?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
probably dek, my phone has been in pocket switched off for last 2 days

it broke at start of the week (dropped in a bowl of water)

strangely it isnt water damaged but damaged phicially so some buttens dont work

can call out on it but thats it and it like pressing buttens when i try to do anything on it

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Smart Phones are the primary tool to social communication and only works if you have it with you and its on. So yeah, those that want to stay in touch will tend to have their cell phones. As for entertainment that is up to the consumer to decide to purchase a smartphone and must be willing to pay more for it thus will tend to take better care of it.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Personally, I don't have a smartphone, and will continue to not have a smartphone. I hate a regular cell phone as is, and would do without that if it wasn't handy for roadside emergencies or other times when you can't get to a landline and need to. I really don't need a source of entertainment constantly at my fingers...

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
What is disturbing to me is that the call quality still stinks on many of these devices and they still drop calls. But as long as it is pretty and plays games who cares right? The primary function of the device is to make or take calls but most can't even do that right.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
"Personally, I don't have a smartphone, and will continue to not have a smartphone. I hate a regular"~~

I was with you on that... "All I need, is JUST a phone"... with a good alarm.... with a good audio recorder... with a good camera... with internet abilities...

When waiting for the kid, I can check up on sites like this one and read articles like this... anywhere. When out with the kid, I took a picture of us at the museum and sent it to mom. If it didn't drain the battery so quickly, I'd use its MP3 music player function more... like at the GYM, so instead I have a little $30 CLIP MP3 player that lasts about 20+ hours of music playback between charges.

Someday... you will have a smart phone, because (A) the manufacturing of dumb phones are coming to an end. (B) Costs of a smart phone is $0~50, same as a typical entry dumb phone.
Go for a WindowsPhone7 type... the interface is very basic, and shows me only the things I need. But I don't have a WP7 Phone, I run an emulation launcher on my Android... :)

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I think these days everyone is bored as hell. The only exciting things are sex, drugs, and rock and roll and it all leads to AIDS. So what else is there to do?

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
isn't it time to change the name of the devices? cell phone -> Portable/Personal Communication and Entertainment Device (P.C.E.D.)

Status
Not open for further replies.