Center Channel Mounting and Placement help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dademurphy

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I have a 70 inch tv in a recessed built-in entertainment center. The tv is sitting on its own stand. I have a 25 pound center channel speaker I would like to put either above or below the tv. The speaker itself is too tall to sit on the surface where the tv is (would obstruct the view of a few inches of the bottom of the tv).

Speaker dimensions: (Width x Height x Depth) 23.9 x 9.2 x 7.4 inches ; 25 pounds
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044D1788

TV: (Width x Height x Depth): 62.56'' x 36.49'' x 2.35'' ; 103.8 pounds
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E701i-A3-70-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009SJNTIY

There is about 4 inches or so of room below the screen which would leave about 5 inches of speaker in front of the TV. There is about 12 inches of room above the tv but I am not sure how to prop up the speaker to be at that height. Ideally, I wouldn't have to build anything. Also, it is not possible to use a wall mount for the speaker as there is about 18 inches of room behind the tv to the wall and I cannot drill into the wood either behind the tv or above it.

Would it be better to find some sort of tall pedestal (36 inches tall or so) and place the speaker above the tv and angle it down slightly or should I try and put some sort of "riser" like device under the tv to raise it about 5 inches to accommodate the speaker below the tv? The tv weighs 103.8 pounds so I would need a pretty heavy duty 5 inch tall stand to accommodate it. I'd appreciate opinions on whether one of these configurations is better acoustically as this is my first home theater build

Solution
For a center channel speaker, it HAS to aimed at your ears. The wall mount angled down would be best but since you can't do that a riser would be the next best option.

I guess if you could find some L shaped speaker stand, where it could hover over the TV would work, but I would think it would be a custom type job.
For a center channel speaker, it HAS to aimed at your ears. The wall mount angled down would be best but since you can't do that a riser would be the next best option.

I guess if you could find some L shaped speaker stand, where it could hover over the TV would work, but I would think it would be a custom type job.

Reactions: Thomas Shell
Solution
I would try simply putting the TV on top of the center speaker if the added picture height is not a problem. If the base of the TV is way bigger than the top of the center speaker just put a shelf on it to make it the right size. You can buy one at your home center. If you want to test the center for weight sit on it yourself. Should be OK. If your prefer the center channel go above the TV you are going to have to add a shelf above the TV for it. I would not worry about angling it down as dome tweeters have enough dispersion to make it unimportant. Don't forget that the speakers in a real theater are all above you head.

dademurphy

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I ended up taking off a couple of the doors above the tv (near the ceiling). Drilled some holes and ran the wires up there and used a piece of foam-like material to angle the speaker down. Sounds perfectly fine unless you are standing right in front of the tv and then you can tell the sound is coming from above you.

Reactions: Thomas Shell
Status
Not open for further replies.