Center speaker making popping scratching noise

Josette

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
Tonight, when I kicked on the power strip for my tv/GE vcr/Sony 5-disc dvd/Sony 5-disk cd/Sony STR-DE505 receiver/roku units...with Technics center, Sony rear, and Sansui tower speakers...my center speaker was making a popping and scratching noise. I hadn't touched any knobs and nothing was on except the receiver and the dvd was disc searching but no discs in the unit. Even after I turned dvd off, still making that noise. Any ideas?

Solution
Most DVD changers will come on and search for discs when you turn the strip on. Should stop once it finds them. If it doesn't find discs that are there the laser might be bad.
Does the noise persist if you change inputs on the Sony receiver?
Sounds like the receiver is the cause of that problem. Center channel amp or processor?. Noisy transistors? Would need a tech to tell.
It's not a good idea to use a power strip to turn on components. Many like to be on standby rather than unplugged. You can lose setting too.
Most DVD changers will come on and search for discs when you turn the strip on. Should stop once it finds them. If it doesn't find discs that are there the laser might be bad.
Does the noise persist if you change inputs on the Sony receiver?
Sounds like the receiver is the cause of that problem. Center channel amp or processor?. Noisy transistors? Would need a tech to tell.
It's not a good idea to use a power strip to turn on components. Many like to be on standby rather than unplugged. You can lose setting too.

Solution