Cequint Sues Apple Over Advanced Caller ID

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I really don't get the double standard for Apple and everyone else. So what if Apple bought Siri and didn't invent it from scratch in house? Sounds like some other major pieces of software out there, like Android for example. There shouldn't be a Android by Google by all of your reasoning.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I really don't get the double standard for Apple and everyone else. So what if Apple bought Siri and didn't invent it from scratch...[/citation]

You've got a point there. Most of Microsoft's stuff is not home grown but either bought or 'inspired' from other sources. I guess that's where this industry is headed. You buy some company and than lock down their product for your use.
Imagine an Oil Company would buy a Technology company that owns patents for batteries so they can lock down the battery market. Unthinkable...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]will1220[/nom]1. Apple didnt even come close to inventing the first tablet - They just marketed it better2. Apple didnt even come close to inventing the first mp3 player - They also just marketed it better3. Apple didnt invent Siri - - - they bought it from another company and restricted access from it from all iOS devices to only iphone 4s[/citation]
1. will1220 didn't even come close to understanding the sarcasm.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]This isn't any tech that is 'invented'. It is simply looking up what city an area code and exchange belongs to. I wonder how accurate this is when someone keeps his/her phone number but moves to another state.Wouldn't all of these other "reverse phone number" search services such as Spokeo fall under this since they use and are code / exchange to determine geographic information using your computer screen as the "readout device"?I mean I am glad to see Apple get bit by this, but is still a case of bullsh1t patent trolling.[/citation]
Reverse Lookup is done by searching a database. Has nothing to do with the exchanges. They simply catalog phone books into a database and search the database for the specified string....then display the results. The information is provided by the telecom companies.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Not that I mind Apple being sued... but seriously. A 'patent' to display the phone number of where a call comes from ?Something like this should not be patentable.Invent a Phone...patent. Display a caller's phone number . . . NO patent.Invent GPS...patent; display someone's GPS data . . . no patent.But that's just me.[/citation]
Caller ID was patented because prior to it's invention, there was no method for retrieving and displaying caller information.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]will1220[/nom]1. Apple didnt even come close to inventing the first tablet - They just marketed it better2. Apple didnt even come close to inventing the first mp3 player - They also just marketed it better3. Apple didnt invent Siri - - - they bought it from another company and restricted access from it from all iOS devices to only iphone 4s[/citation]
He was just being sarcastic...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Cequint pulled an Apple on Apple. Cequint, you're actually making me sympathetic for Apple this one time, but not enough to really care. Kick Apple across the court!

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Another Apple story brings out all the "Android sheep" Frankly I think this iss another stupid patent. I can see patenting particular way to retrieve the data, but not just retrieving the data. I type in a search bar to retrieve information on the internet. When is someone going to sue Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and the rest becuause that "patented" using a bar to type your search query in.

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Another Apple story brings out all the "Android sheep" Frankly I think this iss another stupid patent.[/citation]

Like patenting a 'minimalist' (i.e. clean looking), rectangular tablet of any color?

EightyFour

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]. Just another cheap shot at Apple, probably finaced by the HTC/Motorola/Samsung/Google group that is throwing up a ton of bogus lawsuits and shifting patents around/trading companies etc. in an effort to actually win something, anything against Apple at this point.[/citation]

this just in: you're an idiot.

1.the bogus lawsuits have been mainly launched BY Apple.
2.this suit looks legit, they patented a particular method for retrieving location-data,
and if Apple is using this method without paying royalties, they're operating illegally in that matter. simple.

this is a far cry from suggesting to other tablet makers that in order to not breach their (ridiculous, full on f---kin ridiculous) patents, they should make their tablets "cluttered", "not sleek" and with a "touch screen display that is not flat"

is it backwards day every day where you live guy?

aries1470

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Well, it seems to me, it is iOS5 specific, and crApple had been notified and actually lifted portions from both patents.
I would say the jury should throw the book at crApple, and same with the Hon. Judge.

End of story.

p.s. Pleading ignorance, is not an excuse. Especially when informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.