Cerevellum Add-On Promises Safer Bike Rides

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I would MUCH rather ride on the foot path than on the road! it makes much more sense to me. there is like NO ONE ever walking on the path, and even at my top speed I could stop completely within like 5 meters... I consider the chance of an accident with a pedestrian unlikely...

and yet... it is illegal to ride on the foot path...

as a cyclist on a foot path I feel confident that I could avoid any pedestrians, and as a pedestrian, I feel confident, that, if necessary, I could jump out the way of any cyclists. on the road, as a cyclist I am extremely unconfident riding around traffic, and as the traffic, in a car, I am equally unconfident when it comes to driving round cyclists...

maybe thats just me...

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]You might want to take the time to read the laws in your state. In most, if not every state, bicyclists are required to follow ALL of the laws set for "motor vehicles". For instance, in the state of Virginia, Bicyclers are required to use the appropriate lane of travel. Bicyclers are required to maintain a safe speed, while not exceeding the posted speed limit, for the road they're travelling on. Bicyclers are required to signal prior to lane changes, stopping or turning. Bicyclers are required to obey all posted highway signs. Our DUI laws even apply to bicycles.....and riding lawnmowers...Also, in most states, they're not refered to as "motor vehicle laws" they're simply refered to as "vehicle laws" or "transportation laws".Better read your state laws...because in most states, it DOES apply to bicycles.[/citation]
Most people (myself included) can't pedal a bike at speeds of 40-45mph around town. Unless I'm going downhill.

astrowhiz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I don't know about the US but in the UK there was some confusion over the bikes on paths issue because some local authorities made provision for young children to ride on paths. This was misconstrued by a lot of people as meaning everyone could ride on a path.
Couldn't a cheaper solution be a small bluetooth video camera attached to the back of the bike and a cradle for a smart phone on the front (provided you have the phone that is)

dawolf74

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
@techguy378

Your argument got owned, and so now you are spouting off incoherent garbage.

So, your position is that the only speed limits that exist are between 40-45 MPH?

Odd, I have traveled the world and all over the united states and I have seen limits from 5mph and up.

Just because you are ignorant of the facts, does not invalidate the facts.

Just because you are not capable of something, does not make it impossible.

Get your head out of your "I was a gifted student in high school." butt and realize that a good amount of the people that frequent tech sites are probably just as intelligent as you are, and apparently quite often better informed.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Umm... reading the comments was the first I thought of actual bicycle, when I read the article the only thing that was in my mind was motorcycle. This type of a device would go great on a motorcycle. I gave up street riding in 2007 myself but while I had the bike I always hated the rearview mirrors and actually wished there was a device like this available.

isisyodin

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Maybe bikers should stick to side walks and avoid the street for once.[/citation]
Share the road... I usually ride on Saturday and Sunday mornings when most people are sleeping or in church. I take an entire lane when more than one lane exist. I think this gadget can help lawyers more than cyclists.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've been riding my bike almost every day as my main source of transportation for more than 3 years now. I couldn't imagine riding on the sidewalk at speeds of 30kph+. The vast majority of my commuting is in the densest part of the city I live in (~2-3 million people) and I have yet to see a single cyclist get into anything more than a very minor accident. The worst accident that I've seen was when a cyclist on a sidewalk hit a pedestrian (though even that was relatively minor).

Contrary to popular belief, for most people riding a bike as your main source of transportation actually increases your average life-span. The small chance of injury/death is hugely outweighed by the benefits of daily exercise.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I actually got so tied up in the discussion here that I forgot to comment on the actual article. I've been thinking of picking up a Garmin Edge 705 (GPS, heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, color screen) cycling computer for the same price ($500US). If this computer weighed about the same amount and provided similar functionality to the 705, I might consider it. Having a rear view is not actually that important on a bike. Its very easy to turn your head and you don't exactly have blind spots like a car. I can't recall ever thinking that it would be nice to have a mirror.

As for this being for 'performance' cyclists, high-end road bikes cost $4000+, so the $500 price tag isn't really a big deal. I still can't see it actually being that useful, but if the guy making it was a professional racer, then he probably knows a bit more than I do (I did my first entry-level race this year).

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Why is there a need for everyone to tell this guy what he needs to do? Obviously, he needs to brush up on knowing his laws but I don't think there is any reason to just call him out on it. Why not just correct him? Or offer a correction? It's so annoying to see everyone doing this. JMO[/citation]

Because he used words like "retards" and other insults to bikers who obey the law. Nuff said.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dawolf74[/nom]@techguy378Your argument got owned, and so now you are spouting off incoherent garbage.So, your position is that the only speed limits that exist are between 40-45 MPH?Odd, I have traveled the world and all over the united states and I have seen limits from 5mph and up.Just because you are ignorant of the facts, does not invalidate the facts.Just because you are not capable of something, does not make it impossible.Get your head out of your "I was a gifted student in high school." butt and realize that a good amount of the people that frequent tech sites are probably just as intelligent as you are, and apparently quite often better informed.[/citation]
In many major cities in the USA 40-45mph speed limits are the most common off of the freeway. Speed limits that are impossible for over 99.9% of humans to attain on a non motorized vehicle do not apply to bikers so my argument was correct aside from a few minor exceptions.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]In many major cities in the USA 40-45mph speed limits are the most common off of the freeway. Speed limits that are impossible for over 99.9% of humans to attain on a non motorized vehicle do not apply to bikers so my argument was correct aside from a few minor exceptions.[/citation]
In Canada, the speed limit in cities for non-highway traffic is 50kph (about 31mph). This is still a faster speed than most people can sustain on a flat road without a very strong tailwind.

Status
Not open for further replies.