Solved! Certain keys in laptop keyboard not functioning as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPFive

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
I have an ASUS X542UQ laptop and this sudden weird problem occurred last month. Basically, my no. 1, 2, letters q, a, s, z, x and numpad 0 is printing different/additional characters. For example, letter q would print qx.

I did most common methods around the net, like uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, disabling sticky and filter keys and even reseating the ribbon cable, to no avail.

Some of you guys may say I need to go to to a technician but I'm still posting posting this because I may have just missed something simple that may solve this issue. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Solution
The the problem is likely the attached keyboard. Check it for problems (debris, etc.,) and if that turns out not to be involved, then you will have to look at replacement. Either the individual keys themselves (which on some keyboards can be replaced) or the entire keyboard will need replacing.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

you may have a device driver problem or faulty hardware

If you can find a Linux or Windows or Windows PE bootable Cd/DVD or USB disk

Then see if problem still ocurrs under different operating system

Example of easily available Win PE is the new Hirens boot disk (version 1.01)

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

previous Hirens Boot Cd is version 1.52 but it is too old for modern UEFI PC's

regards
Mike Barnes

I would suggest trying an external keyboard before changing the entire OS.

Try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.

RPFive

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

Hello, I will consider that. Thank you. I'll let you know if it worked.

RPFive

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

Hello, I already tried the external keyboard method and it works fine but to tell you guys honestly, I'd still want to use the laptop's own keyboard as it is more convenient than carrying another one. I also checked the affected keys, cleaned them and the problem still persists. As for malwares, viruses, etc., I've reinstalled (clean install) Windows thrice already and the problem still occurs.

It's kind of weird though because I observed that the keys sort of "correct" themselves if I leave the laptop on and idle for a couple of hours, the problem also returns if I also do the same. Any thoughts on this?

RPFive

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I did, a couple of times. I even did a method where I'd pick a different keyboard driver but the problem will still persist.

The the problem is likely the attached keyboard. Check it for problems (debris, etc.,) and if that turns out not to be involved, then you will have to look at replacement. Either the individual keys themselves (which on some keyboards can be replaced) or the entire keyboard will need replacing.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.