CES 2010: What's Inside the Boxee Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
How much and how big? I want something like a media-player for content on an HD... perhaps they should make a BOXEE+ a bit bigger to hold a 2.5" drive at least?

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]How much and how big?[/citation]
it's actually quite small, about the size of a tissue box. you would be better off just plugging a high capacity jump drive in one of the two usb slots in the back.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
i cant really see this selling too well unless the price is the same or less than the WD TV Live, because it sounds like they both do the same thing for the most part.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]08nwsula[/nom]it's actually quite small, about the size of a tissue box. you would be better off just plugging a high capacity jump drive in one of the two usb slots in the back.[/citation]Or just using the wired/wireless ethernet to stream from your NAS/server/PC. :D I do agree with sentiments about the shape, but this is not a final product yet so who knows.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]agree, I like what's inside but wtf is up with the odd shape? Now I can't stack shit on top of it.[/citation]

they use that shape because they know it is annoying, that way they can later on sell a rack that fits on top that level the top and allows you to stack stuff on top and they will charge a lot of money for it :)

either that or they made it so you stack it on top of other stuff (depends on hoe much heat it generates)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I wish they will allow us to edit comments, made a stupid spelling mistake and cant correct it :(

anyway, the idea behind the device is good but the way it works makes it seem that it needs external support from the company,which makes it seem like if the company dies, your boxee becomes a paperweight or the company includes instructions in their going out of business letter for converting the boxee into a tissue box

trih

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I like the shape of it but I would really prefer if they made it us$100 more expensive and out of metal instead. No way I'm putting a plastic box in my livingroom! Other than that it seems to be a nice product. a small ssd in it and it should work very nicely.

G

I can't wait to see the review on Tom's (...you are going to review this thing right?! D:)
I've been looking for a snappy mediabox for my aged parents (they hate computers). Pair this with one of those low profile USB drives and hopefully I won't get any calls about how the box is 'busted'

Status
Not open for further replies.