CES Under The Radar: Stuff You Missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
No hard drives, backup-up drive will hold 50 Gb, on a device certified for 6,000 Gb, and $900?

Why do i think i could build it better and cheaper?

hmmmmmmmmmm ....

ediver

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
A far as the LG NAS is concerned: there are a few features it has that didn't make it into print. Those include a catalog dredger, so that duplicates of files aren't backed up (not quite data dedupe), the ability to stream virtual media discs to multiple users, and the real time backup. Remember that in a typical RAID 5 or 1 configuration, the total storage will drop somewhat. Existing backup solutions are very expensive (LTO and AIT drives are outta sight) and per GB, the storage costs are similar to BluRay. Also, most backups will be differential or incremental, and in a small work group or small/home office, I would be impressed with someone generating over 50 GB of content per day. So, yes, I do find the price quite attractive, but it is at least 6 months from announced ship date, the price is approximate, and the market will almost certainly change between now and then.

G

I'm sorry Pioneer but Yamaha has had:

# iPod compatibility via Yamaha Universal Dock
# USB port on front panel to connect a USB memory device or a USB portable audio player
# On-screen display with iPod song title display
# Compressed Music Enhancer to improve compressed music sources

for as long as the current series has been around, sometime in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS