Changing CPU in laptop

mokkc1999

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
hi all, i have a acer aspire 5950g laptop and i want an upgrade on my proccessor.
kindly advise what i should consider before buying a new cpu

here my laptop specs
acer aspire 5950g
i7 2670qm 2.2ghz (2.8 ghz max.)
ATI radeon hd 6850m 2 gb
16gb ram (1333mhz each)

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
You should consider that it may or may not be impossible, even if you had the best soldering skills in the world, and also that it may void your warranty.

mokkc1999

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
hi the warranty on my laptop is long gone, i would like to know if i7-3740qm would fit into my laptop, thanks

CPU socket is 988B rPGA

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Well, assuming you can acquire the CPU, and they both go in the same socket, and the CPU isn't soldered in to the board (very unlikely), You'll probably be able to remove the CPU and put in a new one after a BIOS update.

So first things first, can you take you current CPU OUT without breaking the thing.

Both CPUs are of the same socket type which means the Ivy Bridge generation Core i7 CPU will physically fit into the motherboard.

However, the problem you are going to face is that the laptop's BIOS will not recognize the newer CPU because... it is a newer CPU which did not exist when the laptop was manufactured. If the BIOS does not recognize the CPU then the laptop will either not boot at all or the CPU will be running at the lowest possible clock speed.

It is extremely unlikely (to the point of non-existence) that Acer has released a new BIOS for the newer generation CPU. They (and all other companies) prefer that you purchase a new laptop.

Additionally, I think an Ivy Bridge generation CPU requires a new chipset, and that is definitely soldered into the motherboard.

mokkc1999

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
ok thx for the info, tw my sandy bridge is not soldered to the motherboard and are my options limited to other sandy bridge CPUs?

Yes, you are basically limited to Sandy Bridge CPUs and only the specific models the BIOS has been setup to recognize. If there is a newer Acer BIOS that supports a CPU beyond your i7-2670QM for your specific laptop model, then it should be stated in whatever notes Acer provided for that newer BIOS.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Basically motherboards are the problem and the pin configuration changes when a new family of processors comes out. Example Sandy bridge, Ivy bridge and Haswell are each different families.