Changing GPU for laptop screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
I am currently on a 14 inch laptop display that is using the integrated intel HD Graphics 5500U. I would like my screen to use the NVIDIA GeForce 940M instead but there is no clear or cut and dry way for me to do this. I tried disabling my integrated graphics but this just created more problems so i re-enabled the integrated graphics. Now I just want the NVIDIA card to be used as the adapter for my screen. Thank you.

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

How would I do that in bios, I am not really familiar with what bios is.

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

Device manager. I'm on windows 10 so I right click the windows button in the bottom left. Then I go to display adapters. I made sure that I updated the GeForce one with latest drivers. I then tried uninstalling the Integrated graphics but then my computer does not register the NVIDIA graphics card when I try opening a game or the NVIDIA control panel.

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

I ran the program and it said that there was something wrong, but it asked me to bypass it so I pressed continue. It is up and running now though with all of the information. Is there anything else that could help you?

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

It says that Name: Intel Hd Graphics 5500
DAc type:internal
Device type:Full Display Device

chenw

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014
Pretty sure the way GPU works is a little different in a laptop than in a desktop.

In a desktop, the integrated and discrete GPU are two completely different pieces of hardware, IE, you can connect your display direct to one, completely ignoring the other one, which meant that if you wanted to benefit from the discrete GPU, you have to hook your monitor directly to it.

In a laptop, that works completely differently. All of display output is handled by the integrated graphics, only when you are doing 3D rendering (like games), would it transfer the calculations to the dedicated GPU, but it still requires sending the data through the integrated graphics to put it on your screen. IE disabling the iGPU effectively disables your display, your nVidia GPU cannot output directly to the display.

That's my understanding, if I am wrong about this, please correct me.

Hellfire13

Respectable
Apr 20, 2016
yes but it still has to show under devices or dxdiag...

try this...

Click Start and then Control Panel. Select Classic View from the left side of the window.
Double-click NVIDIA Control Panel.
Click View and next Add "Run with graphics processor" Option to Context Menu. Close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
Right-click the application title and select Run with graphics processor. Then, click High-performance NVIDIA processor.

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

I'm sorry but i opened up the control panel and I am not entirely sure what u mean by classic view. Anyways, I ran NVIDIA and I clicked on "Desktop" tab and I have the add "run with graphics proccess" selected. If there is no way to only run the NVIDIA GeForce proccessor I will be content, but it would be slightly upsetting.

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

there is one for both. I got "graphics properties", "graphics options", & "NVIDIA Control Panel"

jryan4545

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

I try recording my monitor on obs and it doesn't work and after reading a lot of forums I believe it is because my laptop display uses the Intel graphics while games will run with the NVIDIA

Status
Not open for further replies.