Changing laptop graphics card

G

Hello friends,
Good evening/morning/noon. I have a K55VJ-SX120D ASUS laptop with i5-3210m & GT 635M Graphics card. Now, the system was blowing hot air & dust !!!!!, so I opened it to clean up. Apparently I have a detachable/removable graphics card. Also the CPU is removable from the motherboard.

Now, I want to change the graphics card to something like 660M or higher if possible. Not too high though. Is that possible, considering I have a removable card ? Also, can the processor be changed ?

Don't worry about warranty. There ain't any. This thing is 4-years old & I had warranty for 1-year(+1 year purchased). My country of residence is INDIA

Take Care
Be happy & visit India

Solution
You could, but you must consider the thermal capability of the laptop, lets say that the one you have is 35W, + a 35W processor, 70W in total, if your next card is 70W on it's own, which it might well have to be to gain any useful performance benefit then you've just increased the thermal load by 50%, it'll be throttling a lot.

I'd advise that you look at what options that laptop came with at the higher end, if it sold with a 660M then you'll be OK. You might also want to look to 900 series GPU's as they use less power for the same performance.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
You could, but you must consider the thermal capability of the laptop, lets say that the one you have is 35W, + a 35W processor, 70W in total, if your next card is 70W on it's own, which it might well have to be to gain any useful performance benefit then you've just increased the thermal load by 50%, it'll be throttling a lot.

I'd advise that you look at what options that laptop came with at the higher end, if it sold with a 660M then you'll be OK. You might also want to look to 900 series GPU's as they use less power for the same performance.

Solution