Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidusSandwich

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Soon, I will be making upgrades to my computer. I will be changing out my motherboard and my graphics cards. On the motherboard, I'm going from an Asus m4 to a Gigabyte 990fx. My current graphics cards are 2x GTX9800's and I will be switching to a single Gigabyte 6950. Now I just have a few questions. Do I need to strip the Asus mobo drivers from my computer before installing the new motherboard and it's drivers? And as for the graphics card solution, I know I have to strip the Nvidia drivers completely before my AMD card will work; so what's the best way to go about doing this?

Solution
Best way, re-install Windows.

Things may work OK because you are still using a AM3 chipset if you don't, but usually a motherboard swap works best with a clean setup of Windows.

There are just too many things that get installed with the drivers, you could end up with horribly slow drive access, crashes, no boot, tons of stuff.

Best way, re-install Windows.

Things may work OK because you are still using a AM3 chipset if you don't, but usually a motherboard swap works best with a clean setup of Windows.

There are just too many things that get installed with the drivers, you could end up with horribly slow drive access, crashes, no boot, tons of stuff.

Solution

I don't even run backups, every time I swap PCs around, I get a new hard-drive. That way nothing gets touched on the old drive in case I missed something. If you have the money to do so, get a new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.