Charitable organizations that give away laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyW

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hello,
I am very interested in trying to find a free wireless laptop with Windows Word, Excel, etc and internet. I am in a transitional living h

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I'm not aware of any. Charity of that kind is generally limited to necessities, and expensive portable electronics lie pretty far outside that realm.

If you want a laptop, you'll have to buy one.

NancyW

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Thanks - but I have faith and believe in what I am trying to do and I believe there are organizations that would help and there are individuals who are willing to help as well. I am not asking for a brand new laptop - I come humbly and ask for the wellbeing of others and not just myself.

Thanks for your input....

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Can have faith all you like, however you arent going to find any organization that is charitable giving away laptops they themselves cant use or sell to provide necessities like food, housing to people like yourself. A laptop should be so far down on your list of priorities at this point, if you need job finding assistance im sure any organization would rather offer you that than a free laptop. Or as stated earlier, go to a public library for help finding a job online.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

You're deluding yourself. Budgets on charities are stretched thin. It's hard enough to provide clothes, food and housing to those in need. Expecting to be given free luxury items (yes, a laptop is a luxury) is unreasonable. The only cases I'm aware of where things like this are given to individuals are things like at risk children, or kids in foster homes.

Donated computers will almost certainly be sold to provide necessary items to those in need, or given to libraries, schools, etc. where they can do the most good. It just doesn't make much sense to give so much to one person, when they could give to so many more instead.

If you explained your situation, we might be able to help, but just saying "I want a free laptop from charity" isn't going to get you anywhere.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Either go to computer recyclers and ask if they can 'donate' anything or post an ad in a local paper asking for donations of old computers/ laptops with office installed. You will be surprised at what people get rid of, we just 'dumped' 12 perfectly working laptops because they cant run win7.

This will be the best way, as others have stated charities will be harder to get from than individuals. And there is no way to get 'free' internet.

You could look for local free computer courses and attend those if they exist.

Best of luck and please don't spam the forums with double threads.

NancyW

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

While I respect you as being a veteran and my deceased father serving in the Air Force for 26 years, I cannot believe your callousness and outright hostility in your e-mail. I do have a job and I have skills - just because I was beaten and raped does not mean I am stupid or do not have feelings or compassion for others. Yes, I do have faith and I believe in what I am trying to do for others. You may try to help another before putting one down. Thanks for your input!

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Did you check any of the sites out I listed / and or emailed them?

You also might want to check some local businesses out (speak with a manager, or an owner) - maybe even a tech shop to see if they could provide you with a laptop (or even a very cheap one).

I'm quite sure there would be people willing to give you a low end laptop (or even a very low priced one, under 50$), you just have to do some leg work.

Again not knowing what country you live in would make helping you out a bit more difficult.

Edit: If you did get a laptop - say with Windows XP (or windows 7) but no Microsoft Office - you can get a free office program. Libre office. It has all the functionality of Microsoft Office, however it is free, unlike Microsoft Office.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
http://www.freecycle.org/

There is another website. You will have to sign up (free). Hopefully you would be able to find something there.

Thats the best I could fine out of all the websites so far for charitable donations.

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Nancy, just for clarification, the term "veteran" in these forums only indicates someone posts a lot. It has nothing to do with military service and doesn't necessarily indicate the things the person posts are of value.

Sorry to hear about your situation and nice to see you'd like to help others in transitional situations. I'd think Goodwill (or a PC repair shop) might be able to help if the organization that's helping you contacts them directly (or if you have a letter from them so it doesn't look like a scam).

Take care!

bkoop

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Are you in the US?

Here is one more
http://www.computersforeducation.org/

I would like to say, laptops are not always a luxury, they can be used to help kids with math skills for example and provide immediate feedback which is quite helpful for some children.

When Bank of America laid off 30,000 workers, does anybody know what they did with the surplus computers?

Both Open Office and Libre Office are Office compatible and totally free. At one time, the state of Massachusetts used Open Office, if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me.

Best of Luck.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Well, it depends on where you live. In exchange for volunteer time, this organization will give you a computer.

http://www.freegeek.org/

But it is in Portland Oregon. I don't know where you are.

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Callousness? Outright hostility? Neither are there. And the rest is edited.

carroyo

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Wow - vrumor you don't even know what the person's personal life is and you seem to have such a judgemental attitude as if the person doesn't need or deserve what they are asking about in regards to a laptop. I'm in a position myself where I need a laptop and I am UNABLE, at this point in time, to go out of the home and work. I NEED to work out of the house for a few months. Who are you to tell anyone it should be so far down on their list of priorities when you don't know what the priorities are?

Have YOU ever been in a devastating situation? If so, then shame on you, if not then shame on you. I am unable to wrap my mind around the judgements of people such as yourself who appear to be so self righteous when they DON"T KNOW THE SITUATION!!! This world is seriously lacking in compassion and is abundant in hatred, judgements, etc.

carroyo

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

That's exactly what I thought Chainzsaw - was to contact the companies through their websites on their contact page.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

First of all, this thread has been dead for nearly five months. Check the post date before you add something next time.

Second, what exactly do you do that you can work from home, but your job won't give you a computer to do it? I can think of lots of things you can do working from home, and in all those cases it involves being hired by a company that provides a work laptop (typically you won't be allowed to use your own computer, even if you have one). The overwhelming majority of "work from home using your computer" jobs are scams.

Also, why do you need a laptop? Desktops are cheaper and more powerful. If you're stuck at home, I can't see why the only solution is a laptop. Also, you're posting on the internet right now. That requires a computer. If you're stuck at home and posting on the internet, you obviously already have a computer, or aren't really stuck at home.

Could you explain your situation a little better so I can understand why the only solution is a laptop, and how you will use this laptop to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.